Heart Disease Expert Forum
having random mild twinges in chest....

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

having random mild twinges in chest....

I am a 36 year old white male, 6'1" and weighing app. 370 pounds.  I have been hospitalized twice in the past ten years overnight for investigation of chest pains which turned out to be non cardiac-related.  
  In the last several weeks, i have been having a number of random pains in my chest, about six inches below the line of my nipples, and in my left arm.  I am very hesitant to go back to a hospital for this, because of my past false-alarm history, but I was wondering if someone could tell me if this kind of random pain can be cardiac-related?
  Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Barry
It is possible that the pains you describe are due to your heart. I would suggest you make an appointment with your doctor. If appropriate, he can arrange for an exercise stress test to help determine if your chest pains are cardiac. He can also talk to you about weight loss. If the pains are non-cardiac, your doctor can look into other causes such as ulcers or acid reflux.
I hope this is useful. Feel free to write back. I wish you the best of luck.
If you would like to set up an appointment with one of our cardiologists here at the Cleveland Clinic please feel free to call 1-800-CCF-CARE.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only. Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your physician(s).