Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart attack or not?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart attack or not?
Today I experienced a sudden stabbing pain in the area of my heart, severe enough to make me cry out.  I felt like I was going to drop down dead. The experience only lasted only a few seconds, but was followed by another a few seconds later.  I then recovered and simply felt light headed.  I had felt a bit dizzy since waking up this morning.  I am a 52 year old male and am on medication for hypertension.  This condition is under control. I had a light heart attack at age 36.  There was no similarity in the pain - this pain was sharper and more severe and immediate.  Could you give me advice on what I may have experienced and what route I should take for treatment if any?

Women may present with atypical symptoms during their heart attack.  Even though, what you describe does not sound like a typical heart attack, the severity of it and the fact that you were dizzy with it concerns me enough where I think you should seek some medical attention.  There are organs other than the heart in your chest that can cause this type of pain and I think that you should have it looked into, especially that you have a history of HTN.  Conditions such as pulmonary embolism or aortic dissection should be rulled out.