Heart Disease Community
heart attack symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

heart attack symptoms

if you had a heart attack can symptoms come and then completly disappear then return again?
and are you always breathless? in severe pain?  sorry 4 all the questions
A heart attack (MI) occurs when there is a lack of sufficient blood flow to the heart, and there is heart muscle damage.  Heart muscle damage can occur when there is a blockage of blood supply to the heart by a blood clot.  If MI by blood clot, anneurysm, etc. there may be the classic symptoms (pain, etc.), and immediate intervention is required.

A heart attack can happen in a non-emergency type circumstance.  There can be coronary blockages that deprive the heart of blood/oxygen over a period of time, and gradually the heart muscle becomes impaired sufficiently enough to cause heart failure; that condition can be referred to as a silent heart attack.

If there is heart muscle damage, the heart does not pump adequately (EF below 29% is heart failure range).  EF is the percentage of blood pumped with each stroke.  There are people in the heart disorder population that is in the heart failure range that do not experience any symptoms.  Then there are people that experience chest pain with or without exertion, shortness of breath, fatigue, etc.

If there are symptoms of shotness of breath and chest pain, one should immediately get medical care as that is a very could indication of heart muscle damage, and yes the symptoms can go away and then reappear with stress and/or exerrion.
does an echo show if the heart muscle is damaged?????
i have just looked at my echo results and theres no mention of EF all it says is
LVED 4.68 normal 3.5 - 5.7
AORTIC ROOT 2.93 normal 2.0 - 3.7
LA 3.90 normal 1.9 - 4.0
SEPTUM 1.05
POSTERIOR WALL 0.85

lv cavity wall size and thickness are normal, good systolic function, mitral valve structually normal with trivial MR and no mitral stenosis. the aortic valve is tricuspid and opens well with doppler, right heart size is normal. the tricuspid and pulmonary valves are normal, there is trivial TR and the pulmonary artery pressures are within normal limits. the interatrial septum is intact and the rest of the cardiac structures are normal
structurally normal heart.

pls help have they missed something or was my echo not through enough? im so worried now
Hi Jo,

In regard to the echo it looks good.  While the intepretation doesn't mention EF specifically they do mention "good systolic function" which implies that the contractility (which EF is a direct measure of) is preserved.  There isn't a single negative note in the echo which is also a wonderful thing - your valves and pressures are all in good working order.  Cheers!  I know you're generally worried about your heart and your health but if you had had a heart attack you'd almost always see an appreciable change in cardiac function which would show up on an echo.  Keep focusing on maintaining the basics: blodo pressure (your Left Atrium is FINE but since its towards the higher end of normal you want to make sure your BP is under control) , weight and activity level.   Good luck!
An echocardiogram is ultra sound that views your heart in realtime.  Heart muscle impairment (hypokinesis) will show on the monitor at the time of the echo. In addition if there were hypokinesis that would effect the left ventricle contractility and heart structure.  The estimate of the dimensions of heart chambers and heart walls are within normal range.

As commented with impressions on your report, there is mild mitral valve regurgitation (leakage).  That is valve that separates the left atrium from left the ventricle.  Mild and trivial are considered medically insignificant and not uncommon with general population. and almost always never progresses.  There is no stenosis (reduced valve opening) of the mitral valve.  

You haven't missed anything, and your report indicates no heart issues whatsoever.  
thanx guys for your help, just a couple more questions then i`ll leave you alone haha
madjlp - im on beta- blockers for anxiety so my blood pressure is usually good unless im mega anxious, how long would my blood pressure need to be high for in order for this to become a problem? (the left atrium reading)

kenkeith - can the mitral valve leakage become a problem? if so how much time would pass till it was dangerous and how would i know? also do you think i need further testing off the valves to see if there is blockage? my doctor wont give me anymore tests hes convinced its anxiety and even though i cantafford to go private i would manage somehow cause im so scared there is something wrong with my heart.
thanx for being there for me
happy new year
Calcification deposits can narrow the valve opening (annulus) and is medically termed valve stenosis.  Usually this malady occurs as one ages (over 40) not unlike coronary vessels  hardening and calcium deposits that block blood flow.  If there is significant stenosis, the left atrium will enlarge, the left ventricle may have a problem pumping sufficient blood/oxygen into the system.  Likely to lead to heart failure, enlarged left ventricle, etc. and symptoms would be chest pain, shortness of breath, etc.  Your valve is structually normal, and there is no evidence of valve stenosis.

Valve regurgitation is the result of the valve leaflets not tightly closing over the valve opening and when the heart pumps blood into circulation, some of the blood passes back through the valve into the upper chamber (atrium).  When the leakage is moderate to severe there may not be enough blood pumped into circulation with each heart beat, and the failure of sufficient blood/oxygen can cause chest pain, shortness of breath, etc.  Mild, trivial leakage is not sufficient enough to cause any symptoms.  Usually, the regurgitation does not progress and does not present a problem.  All valves are structually normal, Is not of any concern, don't worry and have a happy new year.