Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart attack

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart attack

Posted by Patty on July 18, 1999 at 17:17:41
I recently had a heart attack. My Dr. said I had an inferior MI. Can you explain exactly what that is?  He says I have no heart damage. I can not understand how a person can have a heart attack with no heart damage. I spent 5 days in CCU. I had many complications. I had Congestive heart failure, Pulmonary edema, and cardiogenic shock. I was on an intraortic ballon pump for 3 days.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on July 19, 1999 at 10:17:42
Inferior refers to the location - in your case the "bottom" side of the heart.  There is often less or no damage done when heart attacks occur in this location.   You can consider yourself very lucky to have survived all that you did with no permanent damage.  Be sure to follow-up regularly with your doctor.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Posted by Patty on July 20, 1999 at 19:53:54
Thank uou for your speedy reply.  I am confused. If the words Myocardial Infact mean a section of the heart muscle dies and can not be regenerated, does that not mean the heart has been damaged? I was told my CPK was 2395 and the cpk mb was 441.9. I was also told these are very high and that denotes heart damage. I am being followed closely. I have been through cardiac rehab. and I am now back at work. I still do not know why I had all these complications from this type of MI. It seems this is a mild type of MI.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on July 21, 1999 at 10:37:38
Actually those are pretty high numbers and you are correct that this means the heart suffered a lack of blood flow.  Were you treated with clot busters or taken to the cath lab to open the artery?  If so this could be why there was little residual damage.  The important thing is there is no long term damage to the heart.  I wouldn't be surprised by the complications, remember heart disease is still the number one killer.  Give thanks you aren't a statistic and make the changes to your lifestyle now to prevent a second attack.
Posted by patty on July 21, 1999 at 15:55:40
Thank you again. I had angioplasty and a stent placed in the LCX (Where ever that is).I had a total occlusion of a large dominat LCX in the proximal portion.
I have no idea where this is. I can not find LCX in the anatomy of the heart.
My problem is that I still can not believe how I recorved from this with no damage. I guess I am overwhelmed by all that happened too me. I think I had a mircle. God intervined to save me for some purpose. Even my Dr. said he never had a pt. as sick as I was, recover so quickly and so completely. I waited 12 hrs. before I went to ER. I did not think I was having a heart attack. All my pain was in my Jaw and my teeth. No chest pain. I had just had blood test,EKG and Echo stress test one week before I had this MI. All test were normal and ruled out CAD. However I did have CAD and the test missed it.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on July 22, 1999 at 09:02:07
LCX is the same thing as the left circumflex or circumflex artery.  We can't explain everything that happens but the angioplasty and stent probably saved your life.  Take care of yourself and enjoy your "second lease" on life.
CRC

Posted by Lori on July 23, 1999 at 14:39:47
"I had just had blood test,EKG and Echo stress test one week before I had this MI. All test were normal and ruled out CAD. However I did have CAD and the test missed it. "

How could this happen?  I realize mistakes do happen and any test can have false postive or negative results but, with someone so ill, is there a physiological reason that ALL of these tests showed a false negative and missed the CAD?
Posted by patty on July 25, 1999 at 16:49:34
No one knows the answer to your question. All my Dr. says is the test failed us.  This blockage did not develop overnight. I had been having pain in my jaw and shortness of breathfor months before the heart attack, with these symptoms becoming incresingly more frequent. My Dr. was happy to rule out CAD and diagnosed me with GE Reflux and esophegeal spasm.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on July 26, 1999 at 09:42:57
The answer to your question is rather complex but the short answer is that there are no good tests to predict who will have a heart attack.