Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart beat

Hi, I need to know why I can not feel my heart beats.
this have never happened to me before.
Before today Sunday May 14th 2005, when I feel my chest in the right side I could feel my heart beat. but today I can't. Is this normal?  and what can I do about this. Most of the people here are complaining because they have a faster heart beat or this or that, and I'm here complaining about having none.
Tags: Heart
Hello Son123,

Sometimes your heart beat is more prominent than others -- it depends a bit on the level of catecholamines in your body.  Try checking your pulse on your neck or wrist.  Sometimes we cannot feel a pulse because it is to rapid, although the patient usually feels not well or apprehensive during these times.

Certainly if you are not feeling well and you or others cannot find a pulse, this is a reason for concern and means you should see a doctor.

I hope this helps.
Golly, I wish I had your problem!  I have IST that has just about driven me nuts from the anxiety condition that developed. ( and oh can I ever feel it ! ) The only time I am a peace with it is when I am asleep and even then I frequently awaken in full panic with a racing heart.  

As the doctor said sometimes my pulse is so fast I can't really count it and have trouble finding it.  I know this is bothering you and I understand it's real for you-I just have the opposite problem.  good luck

signed,
beats too fast
Hi JDM,

Can I ask how/where you got diagnosed with IST? I have been diagnosed with that too. But it seems that many general practitioners have not even heard of this relatively new diagnosis yet. Have you tried any therapies that help?
My opinion is that when the cause of tachycardia cannot be determined it's called IST ( and is thought to be benign - not ventricular etc ). Science simply is not able yet to determine the cause.  My IST kicks in after I eat, if I consume any alcohol, and following exercise when my pulse won't return to normal for hours and hours.  

They determined that my SA node is doing the pacing from ECG's.  Perhaps it's economic as well as I am covered by an HMO.  They have offered no electrophysiological studies whatever.  I'll live is the general prognosis I get.  At least the IST won't kill me-probably.  

The psychological effect of the IST on my life has been catastropic though.  One problem I have coping is that there is "unknown" regarding my condition.  I was always told that the time it takes your heart to return to normal following exercise is a measure of your fitness.  Now they tell me don't worry about it.  

It's driving me nuts.  I take attenolol which has bad side effects but at least lets me eat a meal without having a 110 pulse for hours.   The doctors said that I could have a SA node ablation but , of course, the procedure itself would most likely put me totally out of my mind AND the situation could get worse not better.  

Hope this helps.  I just got a bad hand.  Some get worse.  I live day to day.
I have IST and have had it for years.  When I finally went to the drs. to find out why I was so fatigued it took a 1 1/2 years to find out it was IST (and NCS).  One of the reasons is I didn't feel any palpitations (even when the ekg was showing it a 170bpm).  The PCP (family physician) fig'd there was something wrong with the machine and did again.  Even finding I was still in tachy he wrote it off, because I was calm as could be.  I actually was feeling so fatigued I thought I would fall on my face.  My reg. PCP sent me to a neuro who ran all sorts of tests and after all of them came back normal decided to do cardiac tests.  Bingo!

I don't know for sure if they call any tachy they can't diagnose IST, maybe some do, but I think it has to meet certain requirements.  The way that I got the diag was during the TTT. The cardio EP performed different maneuvers while I was in tachy and according to the response diag me with IST.  (Before that they just had my ekg's and holter results and the reg cardio diag SVT).

I do get palps, however, but that is with the PAC's, PVC's,(bi and trigeminy), and PAT's.  Also, my drs. often have a hard time finding my pulse (not because of tachy) and that was even before being put on beta blockers. (I, also, have MVP, with mild MR and TR, and mildly elev. pulmonary pressure according to echos).