Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart bypass surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart bypass surgery

i have been told that i need bypass surgery and i am waiting for an appoiontment to see a surgeon to discuss the procedure.
I am very anxious about this surgery and i know that i am seeing a surgeon but is there anything atall you can tell me what to expect from the surgery while i wait for my appointment to come through no matter how small any piece of advice you can give me will be greatfuly appreciated.
Anything from what os involved in the sugery, recovery period what to expect during recovery and how long my stay in hospital will be
many thanks
Bypass surgery involves entering the chest by dividing the sternum (breastbone) in half and pulling the ribs apart to expose the heart.  Vessels are then taken from the shoulder and/or legs to use as conduits to bypass the blockages in your coronary arteries.  You will likely be cooled and placed on cardiopulmonary bypass so the heart can be temporarily stopped to allow them to do the procedure.  The procedure usually takes a few hours, and you should plan on spending about 5-7 days in the hospital.  Recovery can take several months to regain strength and let your incision heal.  Hope this helps.  Best of luck to you!
kjc2012,    I am not a doctor, nor do I have any medical training.
Also,  reading your post,  I know nothing about  your condition.

Having said that and going from what you say about being "very anxious"  you need to do a lot more reading about this subject to familiarize yourself with the procedure.  

I don't know how many doctors you have seen,  but I would certainly get a second and even a third opinion about your condition on this important planned surgery.   Certainly seeing a second cardiologist at a minimum.
Bring all your questions and your records to that second cardiologist.
(I'm not talking about the appointment with the surgeon).  But rather a second independent cardiologist to review your condition and choices.

Of course you may have already done this, but you didn't mention it in your post.
Don't just feel like you are a passenger on a train where you aren't in control.   Get all your questions and concerns answered.

Now, soon a doctor will give you his trained response on this forum.
I wish you well.,