Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart/chest being strange

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart/chest being strange

I have had palpitation for years, but just recently noticed the left side of my chest/rib cage sticks out slightly further than my right. When i take a deep breath i feel as if my left side fills faster than right, and can feel pain top left pec. My mom went to Dr. and was told her heart was slightly enlarge but she is 70. I am 33yr old male. I smoke and have had bad circulation since high school. My extemities fall asleep fast, and tingle when cold. Is this heart related or not? When i tell Dr. he says i am too young to worry about that. This doesn't stop the worrying because i want to catch it early if it is problem.
It does not sound that what you are experiencing is heart related. Generally, the extremities "falling asleep" easily is not related to the function of the heart. Without being able to see your records or exam you, it is difficult to comment on the chest symptoms, though I can tell you than long standing left sided chest pain only with deep breaths are not generally related to the heart. At times, inflammation around the heart can cause pain with breathing though this generally comes on fairly quickly and is more severe pain then you seem to be describing. Alternatively various things can cause inflammation in the lining around the lungs that can cause some chest pain with deep breathing though this is usually a more acute process and is often associated with shortness of breath. It sounds like what you are experiencing may be a musculoskeletal issue though this can only be definitively evaluated by your doctor. I would also recommend that you quit smoking as this is likely the single best thing you can do to improve your overall health.