heart disease and coconut oil
I take coconut oil pretty frequently and I know it is full of saturated fat. I know that saturated fat can cause heart disease by increasing my cholesterol. I've heard that coconut oil has tons of benefits though and it will not raise by bad cholesterol. I was reading from the Mayo Clinic and it said that coconut oil/saturated fat can cause higher cholesterol. There are so many different opinions. I've been feeling great and I think that taking coconut oil has a lot to do with it. What does coconut oil do to my cholesterol? Or for my heart?
Why don't you have your cholesterol tested, and see it is even an issue?  If you have been taking coconut oil for a while and your own cholesterol is still normal, then I personally wouldn't worry about it.  If cholesterol is high, then you have to do some thinking.
I  was planning on getting my cholesterol checked,  but haven't really made any action to do so. I'll start making that step today. I'll call my local clinic this morning! You make a good point point, THANKS!
this causes cholesterol that sticks in your arteries and when it thickens the blood cant get through therefore it thickens and clots forming a blockage, then a heart attack or stroke it if breaks off and travels in bloodstream, omega 3 is very healthy this is found in mackeral this is great for the heart
Fat and oils are technically triglycerides. Triglycerides are composed of individual molecules called fatty acids. Each triglycerides molecule consists of three fatty acids.

There are three categories of fatty acids: saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. All oils and fats consist of a mixture of these categories of fatty acids.

A high intake of saturated fat can increase the amount of cholesterol produced in the liver and therefore the amount in the blood. A high level of cholesterol in the blood is associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease.

The major sources of saturated fat are cooking fats, margarine, fatty meats, full fat milk, cheese, chips, biscuits, pastries and sweets contribute to the cholesterol content of your diet and it is highly recommended to eat less fat and fatty foods.

However, the saturated fat in coconut oil is remarkably healthy!

Coconut oil had the misfortune of being labeled a dietary troublemaker because it is high in saturated fat and many people avoided using it for that reason in their diet.

Many people believed that saturated fat in coconut oil would raise their cholesterol levels.  However, no legitimate research has ever demonstrated that the saturated fat in coconut oil increases blood cholesterol and there is no evidence that the consumption of coconut oil products leads to heart disease, indeed, numerous scientific studies have shown that people who traditionally consume a lot of coconut oil as a part of diet do not generally have heart disease and have normal cholesterol levels.

What most people did not know at the time was that the saturated fat in coconut oil is completely different from the saturated fat found in meats and other vegetable oils.  Coconut oil is a unique fat comprised predominantly of medium chain triglycerides or fatty acids, which has a number of health benefits.

Yes the chemistry is quite interesting but then there are contradictions about fats claimed by some people and food manufacturers. In chemistry, fat is called Glycerol. Up to three fatty acids can stick to a glycerol and this is where the name triglyceride comes from.
There are different types of fatty acids, well 4 actually. Fatty acids are long molecules made from Carbon atoms with some Hydrogen atoms and Oxygen at one end.

Saturated fats have all the Hydrogen atoms that can possibly attach to the molecule, it is saturated with Hydrogen. So, no matter where is comes from, saturated fatty acids are saturated fatty acids. How can one be better for you when they are the exact same?

Unsaturated means some carbon atoms have room for more Hydrogen atoms.

MonoUnsaturated means only one carbon atom is free to accept more Hydrogen.

Polyunsaturated means many carbon atoms can take more hydrogen.

Some food manufacturers found that taking unsaturated fats and attaching enough Hydrogen to make them saturated (hydrogenated), and this improves the food texture. However, under a microscope, the atomic structure is different from normal saturated fat. For some reason the molecule is twisted in the opposite direction and the two adjacent carbon atoms have their hydrogen atoms on the opposite side to normal. These are called Trans fatty acids in chemistry. This unusual forced configuration is shown to seriously confuse our body and can lead to fast hardening of the arteries. In the UK trans fats are not allowed to be in any foods. If you see any food with transfats or hydrogenated fat on the label, please ignore them at all costs. They really are a poison for the arteries and heart.

Perhaps someone could please explain to me how saturated fats in some natural foods are good, when others are not, when the molecules are the very same?