Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart disease and gas

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart disease and gas

My husband of 44 had suffered a major heart attack last Sept. and since then he has had an angiogram. During the anigiogram he was told that the part of the heart that the artery went to is now dead and there was nothing more they could do to help him. Not even by-pass or angioplasty. He is on lots of different kinds of medication (altace, nitro patch, metoprolol,Ranitidine, Lipidor.)I don't understand really what this all means except he has only the two main arteries left. He quit smoking immediately when the doctor told  him the heart attack was caused from smoking. (mind you , he has been a welder for 25 years! which inhales smoke daily especially in such confined areas of the ship.) The doctor has taken him off of work for 3 more months because he is still having chest discomfort (but no blocked arteries) and lack of breathe.
Now he is showing so many different kinds of symptoms and I don't know if they are related to his heart or if something else is now wrong and he finds it too embarrassing to discuss if with the doctor. He has excessive gas, and occasionly when he has burps, the odour can be smelt throughout the house like it was coming from his bowels. Everyone thinks it's just the dog and he leaves it at that. He finds it rather embarrassing to say the least! Yet his breathe would be sweet-smelling as usual. And on two occasions, he has woken up with his mouth completed covered in some kind of black substance that he says has no flavour! . He doesn't sleep well at night because often he must sit up to take some of the burning sensation away from the stomach (just beneath the center of his rib cage). Also, when he tries to eat, he finds it painful at first and has to really take his time until the sensation eases.
Is this normal after a heart attack?
  • lazyeejay (3 replies):
    Hi everyone, Im new to this forum but hoped someone coul...[more]
Dear doneen,

No, this is not typical after a heart attack.  It sounds to me that your husband may have a condition called reflux.  The good news is that there are good medications for this condition.  I would urge him to mention these symptoms to his doctor on his next visit.  Everyone (including the dog) will be much happier.  Good luck.