heart enlargement
my grandmother is aged 85 yrs and has been told recently by one of our local doctors that she has an heart enlargement problem and advised to be on medication but havent briefed anything in detail about the severity of the problem, if exists. Has suggested to keep the intake of salt to the lowest possible.

Pls advise if u need any technical terms of the problem or u cud give me some idea of what her situation is all about. grateful if u cud revert at the earliest possible

rgds/srinivas
An enlarged heart usually refers to an enlargement of the left ventricle (pumping chamber).  The enlargement (dilated type) happens when the heart is overworked and pumping against a high resistence of constricted vessels, increased volume of fluids, etc.

If and when the heart reaches a detrimental dimension the heart walls lose its flexibility, and there is a reduction of cardiac output and the heart fails to supply adequately blood/oxygen to the system.

Medication that reduces the heart's workload sometimes enables a reduction of heart size and normal functioning accomplished with medication that dilates vessels, reduce fluids, strengthen contractions, reduce heart rate, etc.

What are the medical terms?  What I have submitted  post is the most common.