Heart Disease Community
heart issues

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

heart issues

Hi there,
I'm a 24 yr old male, very active and athletic and always have been. For the last four years i have had a random heart flutter which would happen maybe a few times a year. Over the course of the last three summers i have used cocaine every weekend sometimes a little but excessively at times. Along with that i am able to consume a lot of alcohol, no longer smoke weed regularly as i no longer enjoy it, but will the odd time.

While working out last week i had a heart flutter which lasted 30 seconds longer than ive ever had and almost fainted so discontinued my workout. Since then i have had a tightness in my chest. Over the weekend i felt back to normal did cocaine and drank as usual. Following my night out the tightness in my chest came back and hasnt left since.

A few days later while walking home still with the chest pain and the odd flutter, i began to have a shortness of breath felt dizzy and nauseous. I continued to walk and all of a sudden lost all sense of gravity and felt completely dizzy and laid on the ground, a passerby called an ambulance for me. I thought i was having a heart attack.

I was brought to the hospital where i settled down and everything except the tightness in my chest went away. Everything came back normal (ECG,oxygen level, chest scan..) I informed them i had used cocaine and i was told not to consume alcohol or drugs.
It is now the day after and i still have a tightness in my chest and when i walk i become slightly dizzy, have a shortness of breath and at times nauseous.
I am waiting on a referral to see a specialist in the weeks to come, has anyone experienced this and would you be able to give me some insight or put me at ease? i feel as though somthing tragic might happen and am very worried.

thank you.
how u doin man. I'm a 26 year old male and would say that have a relatively similar profile to you. Very athletic, "hard party" (although not anymore), smoked the ganja, hit the gym and play basketball. I have always had this lifestyle.

I have felt:
- chest tightness/discomfort/"weird pain" (I cant fully describe it, but it sure makes me think about heart attacks)
- shortness of breath... I mean, I can still catch a deep breath, its just that my chest feels some sort of discomfort and UNEASE...
- dizziness, not to the point of passing out but sure, I have felt that sense of unbalance and unsteadyness...
- Nausea, never reached vomiting (Thank God)

All I can say man is that, I have ruled out my heart issues, lungs, I do have gastritis, IBS and GERD, which don't help either physically or mentally...

I think our symptoms can be stress... Sure ***** to hear it huh?

I have had anxiety/panic attacks that have left me drained for the whole day, with that chest tightness.

The symptoms we describe are NORMAL symptoms for panic/anxiety attacks... I don't know, maybe for men it's tougher to admit it... maybe there is some mind component which makes us think that there must be something physical, a LOGICAL explanation... But I don't know man... I'm still on the same struggle. keep me posted
Are you stupid?  You will end up killing yourself.  Stop partying and go to a Cardiologist.  You might be having spasms in your arteries or vessels.  You need to go to a Doctor and be truthful with the Doc.  Or you will end up dying.  
As much as I am sorry to hear you are having some tough mental times with this I must say I have never heard of an athlete doing drugs, maybe I'm out of the loop but that seems very foreign to me.

Cocaine is BAD stuff my friend, if you keep on this you will cause yourself some very undesirable complications in the future, quit it now. Cocaine can interfere with the electrical activity in the nodes of the heart which over time can result in not-so-good issues. Your dumping poison into your bloodstream by inhaling it and it can cause all sorts of damage. I would think someone into being an athlete would know the importance of staying far away from drugs.

Best regards, hope all goes well.
You should immediately stop smoking and drinking as these are the worst enemies of Heart.
making your point