Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart medication during pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart medication during pregnancy

I am a 31 year old female, in relatively good physical shape and of normal weight. During my pregnancy two years ago I started to have
hajnalka,

thanks for the post.

Generally the discussions of safety and need for particular mediciations should be a team effort between your OB-Gyn and your Cardiologist.  This way the risk and benefits of each can be discussed with regards to the specifics of your case.

Metoprolol is a pregnancy class C drug, meaning there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women but animal studies have shown potential detriment.

Practically, beta-blockers may cause fetal bradycardia and possibly result in intrauterine growth retardation if used in the third trimester.

Any use of medications should be used with the guidance of your OBgyn and cardiologist.

good luck

"Practically, beta-blockers may cause fetal bradycardia and possibly result in intrauterine growth retardation if used in the third trimester."

I thought the risks of fetal bradycardia and slowed fetal growth were greatest in the first trimester. Is that not the case?

(I have a bunch of questions about Atenolol, SVT, and pregnancy, but for 3 weeks have been unable to post a question. Is it just my timing?)