Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart palpitation, nausea and dizziness

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart palpitation, nausea and dizziness

I'm 35, average body weight, I do a lot of cycling. It has been 5 months that I haven't been feeling well and can't go to work.
My resting heart rate is 92 to 100 bpm and it can last 1 week and then return to almost normal for another week. I feel nausea mostly and some weird feelings in the chest (vibrations and thumping), feel weak. The doctors just don't get it when I tell them that it is very uncomfortable. I have been to the emergency 3 times. They did EKG (1 minute), blood test, blood pressure. They say all is fine and they definitely do not want to refer me to a cardiologist or prescribe anything. They just tell me to "manage it" and have no explanation for it. The not so funniest thing they say is to find a family doctor but no very well that there aren't any. Some people are on a waiting list for 2 years! That's Quebec.

Although my resting heart rate is 92-100 bpm, when I went to the emergency the first time it was 118 bpm. It is scary. It makes you think you are going to pass out and die.
It is difficult to tell what is going on as I am not able to see what your ecgs have shown. Some people can have arrythmias that cause similar symptoms to what you are describing though it is encouraging that you have been evaluated for some episodes and they have not found anything serious. The emergency department is often not the best place to get opinions on non-emergency things, thus I think it would be best to find a doctor that you can see with some continuity. With symptoms like you are describing, we would often place a holter monitor or event monitor to capture what rhythm your heart is in while you have the symptoms to try to better understand if your symptoms are from a heart rhythm issue. It would also be important to make sure that you don't have another medical explanation for your fatigue adn weekness. I know this is difficult, though I do believe you should try to get yourself into a primary doctor to get these symptoms evaluated. I hope this helps. Good luck.
>I hope this helps
Thanks, any reply helps. These past few days have been extreme torture (heat pounding almost non-stop, 95 bpm, constant nausea).

I can also mention that the first time an attack happened (April 27, 2012), they also took an X-ray. I didn't understand why but I guess it was to see if I have an enlarged heart.

Can valve defects be detected with EKG? I wish they would do an echocardiogram but the doctors, it is as if they don't want to refer me to a cardiologist.

I wish they would at least prescribe beta-blockers.
  Hi, I feel so sorry for you' ve been active for life and then suddenly you get sick to your stomach.  Nothing is wrong to your heart.  If you vomited  many times a day, probably you have some kind of stomach flu.  Your heart will also react and work faster.   How is the weather there?  Do you leave the house with an empty stomach?  What's your weight now?  Stay fit, and eat a normal diet.
Hello Judy24,
I haven't vomited at all. I just feel nausea. Some dizziness on a rare occasion (2 times a week these days). These days, my problem is feeling week, heart pounding A LOT but my heart rate is 89. Twitching and vibrating feeling from my heart area.

The weather is getting cold, 23.0 °F.
I wonder if I have Raynaud's syndrome. My hands get red. When I press on it and let go, it turns normal color and the blood flows back and becomes all red. Perhaps I have a blood circulation problem?