Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart parameters

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart parameters

1. What's the mean normal value in cm for aortic root at sinus of valsalva in a 50 year old male who is 5' 11" tall and weighs 186 pounds by echo and also by mri measurement? 2. What's the upper normal limit for aortic root at sinus of valsalva in the above person by echo and mri? 3.Usually does echo underestimates or overestimates measurement of aortic root at sinus of valsalva? 4. Well, I know generally, the mean normal value for aortic root annulus is 2.6cm and for the proximal ascending aorta is 2.9cm,but what about mean normal value of ascending aorta (distal,mid) measured at its greatest (widest) diameter and where would that be? 5. i would appreciate if you would write down the mean and uper normal limits for aortic arch,descending and abdominal aorta? 6. During a stress echo test which achived mets result is more accurate: the computerized printout that computer prints on ekg tracing strips during the test or table estimation and why? 7. There is a website which states that team athletes,like weight lifters have an average resting ef of 61 +/- 5%, long distance runners 62 +/- 6%, but a normal control subjects 66 +/- 6%. Why would weight lifters and long distance runners have lower ef (but not significant) than normal control subjects? 8.When high fitness male peson has resting ef of 58-60% but has post exercise echo ef estimated at 75% what does this means?Why would his resting ef be that low ( ef should be at least 65%) but than post exercise echo ef so high?Thank you.
zk,

Your questions are too specific for me to answer as I am not a cardiologist that routinely reads mri.  However, I will give you some general guidance.

1-2, 4,5) The aortic root is measured at different places. The radiologist/cardiologist that will interpret your scan will be able o give your measurements and if you lie in the range of normal. Generally, The mean normal value for the aortic root annulus in men is 2.6 cm and for the proximal ascending aorta 2.9 cm . The upper normal limit for the ascending aorta is 2.1 cm/m2. A value beyond 4 cm is regarded as an aneurysm, a lower value as ectasia. The normal value for the descending aorta is 1.6 cm/m2 for BSA, and aneurysm is present when a value of 3 cm is exceeded.

The aortic diameter gradually increases over time. The normal expansion rate over a period of about 10 years is between 1-2 mm and the expansion may be greater for patients with an aorta that is larger than normal

3) The echo measurement depend on the planes that are obtained and can actually over or underestimate it based on the images.

6) Mets are calculated by the distance you went and the incline of the belt.  They are dependant on the protcol used and would be calculated by the software.  

7) Im not familiar with that website. Conditioned athletes do have a lower resting heart tone and different shaped heart from normal people so that the method used to calculate ejection fraction may vary slightly. Truthfully, those ejection fractions really arent that different from each other and wouldnt put too much weight into them.

8) Post exercise contractility is increased and EF increases. 58% is a perfectly normal EF and I think you are over fixated on numbers that really dont mean that much as they are all in the normal range.