Heart Disease Community
heart pumping capacity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

heart pumping capacity

sir,my father is suffered from heart problem one month before this problem starts  after scanning the heart doctor says that heart pumping capacity is very low about 20-25% they say that there is no solution upon this  so there is any solution about to increase the heart pupming capacity my father also have sugar and BP

This discussion is related to PUMPING RATE AT 31%.
Whether pumping capacity can be increased depends on the underlying cause.  If the cause is due to ischemia (lack of blood flow to the heart cells), high blood pressure, or other condition that stress and over work the heart, therapy that corrects the condition can cause the heart to return to normal functionality.

If the low cardiac output is due to heart muscle damage from a previous heart attack,  some medication, drugs, alcohol virus, bacterium, etc., heart contractions may not improve very much.  High blood pressure can cause the heart to enlarge due to additional workload of pumping against high resistance, and that can reduce contractility.  With BP under control, the heart may return to normal.  

Five years ago my ventricle pumping capacity was 13-29%.  Currently my heart functions normally, but it appears the enlarged left ventricle has caused mitral valve leakage.
My father had an open heart surgery (four bypass) ten years ago in the US, he is now 63, on a check-up, the doctor (Pakistan) informed him that his heart has enlarged and is pumping at a rate of 20-25%.
My father has been taking regular medications since the surgery as prescribed by the doctors. His blood pressure is normal (140-150/90).

What would be the best treatment for his condition?

They obviously did an echoscan to establish the heart output, so they should mention if they noticed any scar tissue from previous MI. I assume the bypass surgery was a success but perhaps not all the tissue fully recovered. If he has new symptoms, perhaps the arteries are blocking again causing the problem. Further testing is definitely required but he should be on medication to help with the low EF, such as beta blockers.
Unfortunately, your father's blood pressure is in the range of being high.  A strong pumping heart would not find the resistence of given blood pressure enough to cause an increase in the left ventricle pumps against, but a lower than normal pumping capacity may stress the heart to enlarge and the enlargement can/will reduce EF.

As ed states there may have been a prior heart attack that has impaired the heart wall movement, and that could reduce the pumping strength. Your quote:... "heart problem one month before this problem starts"... it is not clear what your father's problem is other than high bp and low EF.

Please what was your father's  heart condition prior to bypass?;  it appears you are concerned about a recent exam that revealed an enlarge heart and high blood pressure!? ...and for the last 10 years there were no problems!  

Treatment would be medication to control blood pressure.  Medication can also be digoxin to increase the force of the contractions of the muscle of the heart by inhibiting the activity of a relevant enzyme. Under some circumstances diet and aerobic can increase the heart's pumping contractions as well.

.  

I have had CAD since 2004, multiple caths with stents placed, and had a major heart attack dec 2008.  Now my BP is under control (122/78) but my cardiologist did a echo and thallium stress and tells me my heart is damaged and is functioning at 25%.  I feel fine but tire easily.
I want to know if u may be able to recommend ANY way I can rebuild my heart muscle, naturally with herbal remedies or anyway.  I have read an article on rebuilding and strengthening heart muscle tissue by using Aloe....any advice?  The last thing my cardiologist said was see you in 6 months.  ??  apparantly i have cardiomyopathy stage 2/3 with a tad of COPD.  
You are probably referring to CoQ10.  It  is a special formula designed to easily dissolve in our Aloe Vera Gel to provide 3 important nutritional supports for cardiovascular health.

It seems to promotes healthy homocysteine levels, supplies co-enzyme Q10to promote efficient metabolism, and provides heart-healthyantioxidants.  Also, fish oil is highly recommended.

I haven't researched nor do I have any experience with alternative medication, but there are good personal anecdotal support for CoQ10 and fish oil.

Thanks for your question.  Take care.