Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart rate after quitting smoking

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart rate after quitting smoking

I just quit smoking a few weeks ago.  Before that, my pulse was generally 78 beats/min resting and peaked at as high as 180 beats/min during high intensity exercise.  

Since I quit smoking I've been running much more than usual (up to about 7 or 8 miles at a time, 4 times a week) and have noticed my resting heart rate is *way* lower than usual.  As low as 50 beats/min but generally around 60 beats/min.  

Could such a dramatic, immediate change be attributed to the smoking cessation?  

I agree that that the heart rate decrease is a bit dramatic to attribute to smoking cessation, but I do not know of an studies looking at this question.  It is possible that the increased exercise is contributing to a slower heart rate as well. I think it is great that you stopped smoking and started exercising more.  Please keep up the great work.

Thanks for posting.
More likely it would be attributed to your running.  Smoking cessation in itself doesn't make the heart more efficient, but it does allow it to operate at its full capacity.  The running that you are doing is making your heart a more efficient pump, so it does not have to work as hard to do the same amount of work (pushing blood thru your body) as it did before.  

Smoking cessation is one of the best things you can do for your heart and body.  You've just reduced the risk of coronary artery disease, stroke, and high blood pressure.  Congratulations.

Good luck and good night.
Good for you!  Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did for myself.  I had the same experience as you, my heart rate fell when I quit smoking.  It was explained to me that smoking constricts the blood vessels, and the heart has to beat more often/harder to keep up with the demand when the nicotine hits the system.  The doctor explained to me that the lower heartrate was tangible evidence that my health was better as a result of quitting.  Long-term exercise also lowers heart rate so I'll bet you are gaining a double benefit. Keep up the good work, Rep74!
I ahd three stents put in on Feb 6th 07,Had stress exercis etest done feb 22, everything was great. i went to shovel snow feb 25 and lasted maybe 5minutes and could feel the start of posibble angina pain, never got to real pain level, so i stopped. I was wondering if just working in the cold weather can be an issue. I am still smoking and plan to quit in the next few days, can continued smoking effect the stent's in such a short time?