heart rates
What is a dangerous heart rate? My son is detoxing from oxycodone.

This discussion is related to Heart Rate - Normal, Abnormal and Dangerous ?.
a normal HR is an adult while sleeping can range from 55-90bpm while sitting it can go from 50-90 and while excercising it can go up to 180bpm. you also should consider if he might be having an arrythiemia(some cases of detox this can happen.) I would consult the doctor helping him with this issue especially if you have concerns
good luck and tell him I wish him the best
michelle
Hi, I can't comment on the " normal " heart rate, as I am not an expert. I hope your son is under a doctor's care for detoxing, as it can make you very sick if you go Cold Turkey. I have been taking Methadone for my back since 2003, and opiates can make you very sick, cold sweats, nausea, vomiting, aches and pains, heart palpatations, anxiety, sleeplessness, and in some cases, hallucinations etc. Also many of the opiates are drugs that need to be weaned off of slowly , over a period of time. If he tries to do it on his own without the supervision of a dr. then not only is he in for a rough time, he will be more apt to go back on to the oxycodone, or end up subsituting another drug for the oxycodone.

I wish you the best in helping with your sons detox program, and I hope you get the answers you are looking for. It is never easy to detox from a drug, esp a opiate which is not just physical addiction, but psycological as well. Your son may need some counsling to help him with this as well. Why is your son going through detox? Was he on Oxycodone for pain management? If so, a pain management clinic would be alble to help you in many ways. Good luck.                          fluffypurrcat
while exercising my heart rate reaches my maximum of 162.  At this point, i am out of breathe and hands are tingling.  Is this normal?
actually, normal heart rate is 60-100. 80 is textbook. 50-60 is not that bad, though. i have grave's disease and it affects mostly my heart. most of the time, my heart is 110-130, but it was at least 256 once. If the heart rate is below 55 or above 135 (unless exercising), you should go to the hospital.