Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart size

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart size

: :                                                           Hi,                                                                                                                In archives of the forum  I found three different normal  values for left atrium and left ventricle.               left atrium                                3.0-4-0cm     left ventricle end diastolic diameter      4.5-5.6cm     left ventricle end systolic diameter       3.0-4.0cm                                                               left atrium                                3.0-4.0cm     left ventricle id(dia)                     3.5-4.5cm     left ventricle id(sys)                     2.5-3.5cm                                                               left atrium                                3.0-4.0cm     left ventricle                             4.0-5.0cm     left ventricle                             3.0-4.0cm                                                               What are normal values of left atrium and left ventricle for a  (a) sedentary man, (b) a man who exercises a lot and (c) athletic man? What is the difference between left ventricle end diastolic and systolic with left ventricle iddia+idsys. Is left atrium normal value same as left ventricle idsys? In archive I found out that normal ejection fraction is >55 but does not say  up to what number. What is normal ejection fraction range? Is it better if it is on low, average or high side of normal? Thank you for your time. Bob
  : --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  : Dear Bob,
  : Thank you for your question.  You have been paying attention.   Part of the problem is that an echocardiogram is a 2D image of a 3D object.  The measurement will change depending on when in the cardiac cycle you measure (end contraction - systole, or end relaxation - diastole).  Also normal heart size will vary with the size of the individual.  I won't confuse the issue by giving more size measurements but all of the ones you quote are in the "ballpark".
  : Normal ejection fraction ranges from 50 to 75%.  Any value in this range is OK.
  : I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
  : If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

I did not understand what you meant by "The measurement will change depending on when in cardiac cycle you measure it"Will there be any significant change if I repeat echo measurement of left atrium and left ventricle(diastolic), two months after the first one? If I  decrease exercise intensity and duration for two months, will that have any effect on heart dimensions? Does left ventricle end diastolic diameter mean same as left ventricle id(dia)?Up to what top normal range number can left ventricle end diastolic diameter and left ventricle id(dia) go in mm? Thank you for your time. Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Bob,
As the heart contracts and relaxes it changes dimensions. There should be no significant change in 2 months. Intense (marathon level) exercise causes some thickening of the walls of the heart but does not affect the dimensions. id = internal diameter. dia=diastole (relaxation phase)- this is the same as left ventricle end diastolic diameter. Upper range of normal for a normal sized male is 5.9cm (59 mm).
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.