Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
hearts stents and electrical shocks
my husband had a heart stent put in his heart in 2008.  (cercumflex artery 95% plugged)  he experienced and electrial shock from electrical machine.  He 1/2 hour later experienced nausea with a salty taste in his mouth.  Could this affect the stent?
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
367994 tn?1304957193
Electrical discharge into the body system is very unpredictable.  I can find no source that acknowledges an electrical shock can cause any harmful effects with a stent implant...
Hope this helps, take care

Ken
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
976897 tn?1379171202
No electricity wouldn't affect the stent. If it was conducting, then it would simply act like a faraday cage, passing the current around it to surrounding tissue.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
367994 tn?1304957193
That may be true "passing the current around it to surrounding tissue", but wouldn't the increased current be associated with the resistance of the stent (current equals resistance time divided by volts.  If the stent conducts that would indicate lower or no resistance and reduced amps..? high resistance would increase amps (current).  We know it is the high amps that is the danger.  I believe the faraday cage is associated with electromagnetic force and electric field and magnetic field are two quite different phenomonon, and not necessarily related. Am I viewing from a wrong perspective?



Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
976897 tn?1379171202
Actually I was wrong about the faraday cage, thinking about it. The stent is basically earthed, where a faraday cage isn't. A car for example, is isolated by rubber. A plane is in the air or on rubber etc. Current is not always increased with resistance, it depends if the resistance is in series or parallel. Surely the current simply wants to earth, so if it enters the hand, it won't go through the heart unless you are isolated from the floor and have your other hand on something to earth the current. Even then, it's very unlikely a tiny stent will be affected. Different story with a pacemaker or ICD unit tho.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
367994 tn?1304957193
Also, keep in mind the electrical force is alternating current.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1480750569
Blank
Netherlands
144586 tn?1284669764
Blank
Avatar universal
Blank
Avatar universal
Blank
Ireland
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Avatar universal
Blank
Paxiled commented on Green Tea and Green T...
3 hrs ago
Avatar universal
Blank
boluyawng commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
5 hrs ago
189897 tn?1441130118
Blank
Sandman2 commented on Green Tea and Green T...
8 hrs ago
Heart Disease Community Resources