Heart Disease Community
high cholesterol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

high cholesterol

I am a 51 yr old female. Even with a healthy diet and good weight, I have high cholesterol - but also high hdl.  There is a family history of this.  I was on lipitor for years but it caused liver inflammation so was taken off it, liver improved and was put on Crestor.  6 week later liver is inflamed again.  Off cholesterol drugs now and will have another blood test in 2 weeks.  Doctor said that I will not be able to go back on cholesterol lowering meds.

Because of a fainting/dizziness problem, i recently had a slew of heart tests and after fainting during a tilt test, the cardiologist said that my heart is fine, its a sodium problem and I have greatly increased my salt intake.

With hdl 78, triglycerides 86, ldl 169, total 260.... and no statin drugs, will I be at a higher risk of heart disease?  Any suggestions to try to lower it before my next blood test in 2 weeks.
    Two things may help lower your cholesterol.  One is niacin.  It is effective for some; others get little benefit.  Hot flashes are a common side effect.  Another that has  evidence to support its effectiveness is a red rice yeast.  Here is a Mayo Clinic web site report:  

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-yeast-rice/NS_patient-redyeast

The red rice yeast has statin like properties, and I would certainly not suggest you try this or niacin or any dietary supplement without consultation with your doctor.  
    Are you at higher risk for heart disease?  Perhaps yes, but the answer might be found in your family history.   Is there a history of early heart disease?  That may be a more important question than the history of high cholesterol.  
     Regardless, it is prudent to be aggressive in your prevention of heart diseast--and it sounds like you are.  

Try res q 1250 " omega 3 oil pills  100% pure - Iv been on them for over 3 years now , cholesterol has
gone down to normal figures good and bad.  as well Niacin is good, if you can take the side effects !
alot people cant take it.   Some Doctors and people dont like fish oils - and will tell you not to take
and it wont work ! from my point of view , I took it anyways and it worked well - cholesterol went down
within 4 to 6months of daily intake.  you can check it out on oceanic.com web site   also ldlx is very good for cholesterol lowering  - as well keeping the sugar levels normal -  its red rice Yeast as mentioned above .  

I think the big problem we all have is being able to withstand the pounding and damage most drugs
do to us all.  as one little pill can damage your whole life !   I tryed 4 diffrent cholesterol lowering meds, and yeah ! they worked but What a punch !  I couldnt understand why a smart Doctor that seemed so kind to me, would give me such Nasty bad Drugs !  

well you get the point !   the fish oil is natural and pure ! the best on the market.  
Just so you know , I dont work the company oceanic  but I do take it daily and like the outcome .
plus its Natural .. and that means no side effects !  

hope I helped in some way..  boogieboy