Heart Disease Community
high pulse after cat scan and die

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

high pulse after cat scan and die

Yesterday I had a cat scan and an hour later my heart was racing I know they inject die into you, but everyone says that would cause a quicker problem, and a different one.  I have been very worried and have not slept lately.  Pulse cannot be lowered more than 80-90.  Normall my resting pulse is 65.  With that said the dr. said my pulse was 100 on Monday before the test.  please help.
Avatar n tn
With your heart rate being elevated beforehand, I would think it would be difficult for a doctor to conclude that you were having an reaction. With that said, my main allergic reaction to penicillian was severe tachycardia with my pulse up around 160. However, it resolved within 4 hours of taking the pill with the help of some benedryl.
If I remember right, once you've got through the half life of a medication, the symptoms/reaction should start to resolve on their own. Depending on what they used, the typical half life of CAT radio-isotopes is typically 6 to 12 hours.

Just for precautions sake in the future, I would ask to be put on prednisone a few days before your next cat/isotope injection, if at all possible.

Best wishes,
C
Avatar n tn
My contrast was done with iodine and I was warned I would feel a general "warming" sensation--and I did. I would ask my doctor of the
contrast fluid can cause reactions.

Also, for the sake of my my own heart as I read the forum topics, please
spell "dye" this way and not "die."

Hee Hee.
If you just got a radioactive isotope, it wouldn't cause an allergic reaction.  If you were given something to artificially stress your heart for a special stress scan, that would be different of course.  Some people just find tests extremely stressful and experience tachycardia or other anxiety symptoms.  Whatever the case, I hope you feel better very soon.
Avatar n tn
Since your pulse was so high before the test makes me think you are like a friend who has phobies of cat scans and they have to give her relaxing seditives before she has them done wotherwise she gets her pulse goign and has a panic attack