Heart Disease Community
high systolic pressure but low diastolic pressure

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am 65 years old ,female . My blood pressure readings make me think.
I normally have  150/55 blood pressure reading  and my pulse rate is 58 to 60.
I am taking 5 mg of Bisoprolol foor my high blood pressure .
What is the BAD PART of a high systolic and low diastolic ?
The pulse pressure is the difference between the systole and diastole metrics. Research suggests that an elevated pulse pressure may be a strong predictor of heart problems, especially for older adults. Generally, a pulse pressure greater than 60 mm Hg is abnormal. (155-55=95).  Normal would be 120-80=40

The most important cause of elevated pulse pressure is stiffness and reduced elasticity of the aorta, the largest artery in the body. This may be due to high blood pressure or fatty deposits on the walls of the arteries (atherosclerosis). The greater your pulse pressure, the stiffer and more damaged the vessels are thought to be. Other conditions — including severe anemia and overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) — can increase pulse pressure as well
As the aorta stiffens with age, it expands less when blood from the heart enters it, causing higher systolic blood pressure. Also because of the stiffening, more of the blood in the aorta and its main branches is forced into other smaller blood vessels when the heart beats, thus, less is present between heartbeats to support the diastolic blood pressure, which becomes lower.

The condition of pulse pressure should be sustained to be considered a negative.
Read this information on Isolated Systolic Hypertension found at http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/102/10/1079.full

Ignore the part about taking drugs to fix it.
Read the book by Dr. AbulKalam M. Shamsuddin called IP6 + Inositol: Nature's Medicine For The Millennium!

My wife has been taking therapeutic levels of IP6 with Inositol for just over a week and is already seeing an improvement in her numbers. She plans on continuing this therapeutic dose for 3 months before reducing it to a maintenance dose. She takes Cell Forte IP6 with Inositol by Enzymatic Therapy [8 capsules twice a day] It is also available in powder in which case you would take one heaping scoop twice a day on an empty stomach.