Heart Disease Community
how do i know when im having an SVT attack?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

hi i am 33 years of age i have heart block stage 2 for which i have a pacemaker fitted. I have just recently been informed that i was born with svt. I have suffered from passing out since i gave birth to my first child when i was 20  and during my second pregnancy i was very poorly and had problems with the baby,I  am currently taking beta blockers for the svt and will find out in july if i need the ablation surgery... i am just wondering at which point i should seek medical attention as i a finding that a lot of people only have episodes of about 30 secs etc but i find that im getting fast heart rate,palpatations that last for about tens mins at a time and about 3 + times a day ...i suffer with pins and needles down my whole left side particulary up my arm into face, is this a sign that im in SVT mode ???? i get the tight sensation in my throat also and i also get  a burning sensation from my throat to my ear which the doctor hasnt got a clue what it is???  im also unsure what to expect next as having a pacemaker fitted at 32 was a bit of a shock and now this ...How can i have a problem with both a  slow heart rate and now a fast one???? sorry  to go on lol any info would be great x
Tags: attack, svt
SVT refers to an atrial type of tachycardia which is a fast heart beat. When you feel all these symptoms, is your heart beating fast - over 120 bpm? For my whole life I've had PSVT, a type of SVT that starts without warning and will stop just as quickly when it's over. Before my ablations the PSVT would go on for as long as 45 minutes. Now mine rarely last a full minute and only rarely 15 minutes. But I always know when it happens because my heart will go from normal of 65 or so to 150 - 198 bpm. That's a big difference and I can tell when it happens.

You mentioned a heart block and having a pacemaker "fitted." Does that mean you are going in for it or you already have one? Usually pacemakers are for slow heart rates such as brady or blocks which you have. That won't do much to help with SVT.

Medications or ablations seem to help with tachy problems. And yes, some people can have both tachy and brady. This is something to talk over with your cardio.

never had the pins and needles feeling but I definitely can relate to the feelings in the throat an d ears. I initially was diagnosed with SVT.. but after a year.they said it was episodes of VT. The only time I have had a problem with the slow heart rate, is due toot he effects of the meds to control the VT. have they done an EP Study yet?
thanks for that ....I already have a pacemaker fitted with two leads .when my heart races i can feel it and it seems to go on for ever ..My cardio doctor  hasnt really said much about having the two conditions together she just said i was unlucky lol a bit of an understatement i think lol You say you had the ablation surgery it seems to have calmed your symptoms down but i was led to believe that by having the surgery it would stop the fast heart rate???? I have also been told that the only risk of the ablation going wrong is the fact i might need a pacemaker fitted but as i already have one they are saying  i have nothing to worry about . So do you still take medication even tho u have had the ablation??
hi sorry forgot to ask what is the difference between svt and vt ??? And what is an EP study ??? im not sure if i have had that one done !!!! thanks for ya help
SVT is when the tachycardia starts in the atrium..(upper chambers) VT starts in the lower chambers. My heartrate for example would go from normal(65 or so) to 200+, with some as high as 318. I have had 4 ablations so far which have helped somewhat. a little over two years ago I reaceived an ICD(implanted cardiac defibrillator) which not only helps control the VT, but also speeds up my heartrate when the meds drop it too low.  I still have runs of VT, unfortunately, but between the ICD and the meds, it is more tolerable. As for the EP study, they manually induce the tachycadia to map out where it is originating, then when they find the spot, they ablate the spot to form a scar so the electrical circuit can't pass through, thus, breaking the cycle. In my case, the area that needs ablated it too deep in the tissue for them to reach at this time. They are optimistic that a newer needle type catheter ablation device will be available later this year and we will give it another try.
Ablations are generally successful and helpful. But folks that don't have arrhythmias after their ablations aren't likely to hang out here. I know of a young girl that had an ablation and is back to normal heart rate.

I have medication on hand if my heart is being bratty but I'm not required to take it every day.
HI there in the last past year i have had to go to the hospitale seven times for having a SVT. My heart rate is normally around 220 when it happens an is very painfull!! Im on the beta blocker an am gonna have a Ablation done in November an to top it off im 22 years old and have four kids!!!!! Does the Ablation normally take care of the problem??? Because the last few times i went to the hospital they were having a hard time to convert my heart rate!! Which was very very scary!!!!