HEART DISEASE
COMMUNITY
how long does a treadmill stress test last ? ( Heart )
by mich492, Jul 14, 2012
Hello, I am now being reffered to a cardiologist , and I am in hope I may get the test , treadmill stress test , as I get extremely breathless walking upstairs & hills , my question is , I have heard the rate + slope goes up at 3 minute periods of time , but how many times does it go up ? , is it 3 x 3 minute intervals or more or does it keep going for example 20 minutes , kid regards
Member Comments (14)
by mich492, Jul 14, 2012
just to add I am female age 41 , I think this info is needed for the test
by ireneo, Jul 14, 2012
I've only had one treadmill test and I was so nervous, I didn't pay much attention to time. I remember walking and walking and the treadmill doing the hum each time the slope was increased. But I didn't think about it much other than I wanted to be done.

More than how much time and how steep can you go, I think they base it on other goals like your BP and heart rate. They have a target they want you to reach. When you do that, they're done. I also had to lie down for awhile afterwards so they could monitor recovery time. My heart upset them because the rhythm went out of whack during recovery. I assured them it does that all the time after I've exerted myself. I guess I passed because they didn't do anything drastic.
by erijonBlank, Jul 14, 2012
They will want you to exercise until your heart rate reaches 85% of it's predicted max rate (220- age). The better shape you are in, the longer it will take. Most last between 6 and 10 mins max.
by ed34, Jul 14, 2012
yep, my most recent one lasted 9 mins.
by Flycaster305, Jul 14, 2012
I've a lot of them, but mine usually last only 2 to 5 minutes, two minutes if they spot something right away, five if my heart is behaving. I don't have the healthiest of hearts, and at my age they only have to get my heart beating to about 110 bpm. They like to continue the test for a minute or so at your 85% rate.  Google 'Bruce Protocol' and you will get a lot of answers.

Good for you, seeing the Cardiologist.  Breathlessness when walking stairs and hills was/is always my red flag.  A stress test is non-invasive but a great indicator of CAD and some other heart issues.  Also, even if nothing specific is suggested it will be the baseline test that subsequent tests are compared to.
by mich492, Jul 15, 2012
Thank you so much for all your answers , (when the treadmill slopes does it feel like you are walking uphillish or is it still quite flat ?),  I am just really anxious as fed up with it all , as have been having chest pain & ectopics for 18 + months + breathless walking upstairs + hills , So I just want to get this all sorted now as it's affecting daily life , so I am just hoping this test will rightly diagnose what's going on as I really struggle with hills etc , and I have allready been mis diagnosed a few times ,
by ed34, Jul 15, 2012
It depends on how difficult they find it to get your heart to 85% of max. In my last test the treadmill was around 30 degrees and quite fast making me do a very brisk walk. Just from those 9 mins, my legs ached the next day.
by erijonBlank, Jul 15, 2012
Depends on your condition, I work out everyday so it takes between stage 4 and 5 for me, which is 12 mins and about 16% grade on the Bruce Protocol. By comparison, my first one many years ago when I was about 90 pounds heavier and had not exercised in years, I was at 98% instage  2 so it depends on how conditioned you are.

Don't get too worked up, they will control your exercise level based on your heart rate and BP. If at anytime you feel uncomfortable you can stop.

Good luck!

Jon
by mich492, Jul 15, 2012
Thank you so much for all the info , you have answered it all for me , many thanks , and all the best to you