Heart Disease Expert Forum
how long for new endothelial tissue after stent

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

2 months ago I had two stents back to back with a total length of about 33 mm placed in RCA.   My RCA was 90% blocked with hard plaque.   DES are Xience 5.   I am on 10 mg effient.  

How long can I expect it to take until new endothelial tissue grows over the stent and new artery wall is formed?    

I have been very compliant with my drugs and am on a good plant based diet.  weight is normal and I exercise daily. not a smoker but am a light drinker.   lipids are now very low, with total chol at 110 and LDL at 55.

thanks,

peter
The amount of time that it takes for a stent to have adequate overgrowth of endothelial tissue is a bit variable. We currently recommend that patients stay on dual antiplatelet therapy (Aspirin + another antiplatelet which in your case is effient) for at least 1 year. Some physicians prefer to keep people on these medications for a longer period of time if they are at low risk of bleeding though that is dependent upon your physician. Maintaining your cholesterol as you are doing is important to decrease the progression of coronary disease.
as followup - a 12 mm stent was added to a 22 mm stent in my RCA.   The longer stent was placed over a long area of plaque causing about 90% blockage. A proximal tear occurred at the top end of the stent during placement, I am told likely due to hard plaque fracturing.  The shorter stent was placed over the tear, abutting the longer stent.   So this makes for a long stented section of artery. Would it take longer for endothelial tissue to overgrow the stent considering it is somewhat longer than average length?   And would the longer stented section tend to cause more complications?

thanks