Heart Disease Expert Forum
hypertension
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hypertension

Hello, I am 25 years old , an architect . I discovered that i have blood pressure , it was 14 / 8.5 . , but now the doctor prescribe me concor 2.5  one tablet in the morning and it is mow 13/8 or 12/8 . My question is that can i reach by changing life style and making sports to stop taking this medicin . I will get back to see the doctor after 6 weeks and I I started to walk for 3o minutes everyday . Actually I am shocked  I am still 25 !!!, all my blood tests and urine are fine ,can all that because of stress and lack of sleep .
Please advice and does this medicine has side effects on sex life and long life span .
can I stop this medicin if I change my life style and make sports , I used to play football and I am a good runner,
Regards  and thank you again
1687176_tn?1321401609
Just to make sure, I am guessing that the BP readings you reported were 140/85, 130/80 and 120/80.  A diagnosis of hypertension is usually made after 2 separate readings of > 130/80, at least 2-weeks apart.  This is to ensure the reading is not due to "white coat hypertension" - which can often be seen in individuals who are anxious/nervous when visiting a physician.  If a true diagnosis is made, lifestyle modification is often recommended as first-line therapy with the addition of medications if this is not successful after a successful trial period and/or depending on the stage of hypertension present.  A blood pressure of 140/85 falls into the category of Stage 1 hypertension and it would be reasonable to suggest a trial of diet and exercise first - which would include low salt (< 2 grams/day), low fat diet and cardiovascular exercise (running, hiking, swimming, jogging, biking) for 20-30 minutes, 4-5 times/week.  I would continue engaging in your lifestyle changes as you are doing (as as mentioned above) as this should always be the case.  When you return to see your doctor, I would ask him/her about the need to continue taking this medication, especially given your very young age.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity