Heart Disease Expert Forum
hypertension

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

hypertension

Hello, I am 25 years old , an architect . I discovered that i have blood pressure , it was 14 / 8.5 . , but now the doctor prescribe me concor 2.5  one tablet in the morning and it is mow 13/8 or 12/8 . My question is that can i reach by changing life style and making sports to stop taking this medicin . I will get back to see the doctor after 6 weeks and I I started to walk for 3o minutes everyday . Actually I am shocked  I am still 25 !!!, all my blood tests and urine are fine ,can all that because of stress and lack of sleep .
Please advice and does this medicine has side effects on sex life and long life span .
can I stop this medicin if I change my life style and make sports , I used to play football and I am a good runner,
Regards  and thank you again
Just to make sure, I am guessing that the BP readings you reported were 140/85, 130/80 and 120/80.  A diagnosis of hypertension is usually made after 2 separate readings of > 130/80, at least 2-weeks apart.  This is to ensure the reading is not due to "white coat hypertension" - which can often be seen in individuals who are anxious/nervous when visiting a physician.  If a true diagnosis is made, lifestyle modification is often recommended as first-line therapy with the addition of medications if this is not successful after a successful trial period and/or depending on the stage of hypertension present.  A blood pressure of 140/85 falls into the category of Stage 1 hypertension and it would be reasonable to suggest a trial of diet and exercise first - which would include low salt (< 2 grams/day), low fat diet and cardiovascular exercise (running, hiking, swimming, jogging, biking) for 20-30 minutes, 4-5 times/week.  I would continue engaging in your lifestyle changes as you are doing (as as mentioned above) as this should always be the case.  When you return to see your doctor, I would ask him/her about the need to continue taking this medication, especially given your very young age.