Heart Disease Expert Forum
infected pacemaker electrodes he

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

infected pacemaker electrodes he

Hello,sorry about my English (I am not a native English speaker)
My mother has infected pacemaker electrodes since 2 months ago.
She get antibiotics (directly to the blood) for 8 weeks.
The doctor told her that he cannot replace the electrodes because it is inside the heart for 10 years already.
The antibiotics cannot help to take the bacterias out of the electrodes (It help to take it out from the blood only)
My question is what is the solution in this case?

thanks a lot!
Ron
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There are several facts to be considered here. The longer the pacemaker stays in the body, the harder it is to take out. A pacemaker that has been inside for ten years is difficult to extract although not impossible. Once these devices get infected, it is very difficult to treat using antibiotics due the reason that you have mentioned. In that case scenario, the patient might require multiple courses of antibiotics or even sometimes life long suppressive antibiotics.
The last option is to consider surgical extraction, which of course would depend on her surgical risk.
These are just opinions. What might be the best option for her depends on her comorbidities as well as the gravity of the current situation.
Thanks a lot for your very good explanation.
My question is how the antibiotics can help in this case where the antibiotics cannot go to the pacemaker electrodes?Will a long treatment of antibiotics can kill the bacterias who are located on the pacemaker electrodes?

Dear,
My mother had an operation in order to remove an infacted elctrode.
During the opeartion she lost blood and she died during the opeartion.
The operation was in Israel and we didn;'t expect it to occur.
I want to say thank you for your previous answers regarding this issue of inefected elctrodes.
I want to ask please if occur very often during this kind of opeartion when a patient die from loss of blood and also how can I check if there was Negligence.
thanks a lot
Ron