Heart Disease Expert Forum
inflammation around the heart
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

inflammation around the heart

I have had chest pain (off and on) for over 35 years (now 55).  When I was 22 years a doctor mentioned I might have inflammation around the heart - he said if I can put my hand to my chest and feel soreness (yes I do feel soreness)  - then it's probably what I had - since then I have been diagnosed with mitral valve and high blood pressure (so I am nervous about having a heart attack) - years go by and I still continue to have dull chest pain radiating to my left arm (usually just before the pain starts I have a dry cough or the feeling that I am coming down with a bad cold/flu or virus)  - I have gone to emergency rooms on SEVERAL occassions feeling that I might be pre-heart attack - they give me medication for high blood pressure - give me an EKG, CT Scan and X-ray my lungs - they tell me all tests are clear - so they don't know what the problem is -- after a few weeks (and taking tylenol) the pain seems to disappear -  my question: Could they be overlooking inflammation (pericarditis)?