Heart Disease Community
inheritance of heart problems

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

inheritance of heart problems

Hello my dad had a heart attack a year before he then had a stent by pass  surgery then he had an other one and again a bypass..... so now again the same the previous heart attacks where quite small at the start the doctors could not see it on the heart graph but they saw some enzymes that where high and indicated the heart attack this time again they cannot locate anything so it must bea failure of the stent....
he is 56 yo never smoked never realy drank, exersised regulary.... living the healthy life the only thing suspicious he is doing is that he is taking a lot of supplements like vitamins, but also others from alternative medicine like cordiceps which appear to be a mashroom with that is used as a energy suplment... what is the reason that he is constantly in trouble with his heart..... since my mother did not have anything heart problems is there a big posibity that i will get heart problems in the future?? i am 22 yo very athletic but eat everything and i smoke some....also drink vodka red bull,,,,,which i can guess is not the best things to mix.....Also my grandfuther died by heart attack but he was old fat and he smoked 3 packeges,,,,, i my self have had an ultra sound of heart and the doctor told me that its all good just the shape of my heart is like a football but its just how it is shaped.... also i had a cardio graph and they told me that my heart rate is low and its propably due to the fact that i am an athlete....
It is probable that you have genetic predisposition for heart issues, but you can reduce the risk with exercise, proper diet, etc. and that seems to be the general consensus with the medical community. Good luck and stop smoking.  Thanks for the question, take care.
i thank you for the aswer....one last one.... the odds are for or against me???(if i continue smoking until like 30)
I'd say less than a flip of a coin.
The earmarks for being in a higher risk group of having a hereditary issue w. your heart is that if anyone in your family has had a heart attack at age 50 or less and that does not mean that you will just that you are in a higher risk group and have to stay proactive with annual exams, mainaining a healthy lifestyle etc.   So in essence the odds are with you.....not against you at this point in the game and sounds like you got confirmation from your doc
I agree with Cindy, many so called genetic traits can be contributed to lifestyle and you can make the changes which can break them. For example, if historically your family has not eaten healthily or smoked, then they have heavily contributed to heart problems. You don't have to follow the same road.