Heart Disease Community
inner thigh pain a week after an angiogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I had an angiogram on November 16th. The doctor didn't find anything, so no stints were put in. The procedure only lasted about 30 minutes and was back in my room. I had to lay almost flat for 2 hours then the nurse had me up and walking and then got dressed and left. I have not had any pain in the groin area, no small lump formed like I was told might happen and only a very small amount of bruising in groin area. I had to climb 2 flights of stairs 3 days after the procedure, but I took it very slowly. Then on Wednesday which was exactly 1 week after the procedure I did more walking than usual at Wal Mart. While there the inside of my thigh almost half way to my knee started hurting. I limped out to the car and tried to take it easy the rest of the day. Yesterday (Thanksgiving day) I still had pain in inner thigh. Today it is sill hurting, but it only hurts when I'm up on my leg. Also today I started feeling like muscle spasms or kind of like a cramp without pain in the upper back of my thigh. Has anyone else experienced any of this? I called the hospital and they said I could go to the ER and be checked out, but all of this has been self pay and I really don't want an ER bill on top of everything else. The nurse at the hospital told me that maybe I have just overdone it, but its been a little over a week now. The pain is not real bad and there is no redness and I dont have a temperature. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Tags: angiogram
It is very common for Cardiologists to use an Artery sealant after the procedure to assist the artery in healing. This slowly dissolves, taking up to 90 days. The area where your incision was made consists of an artery, a vein and a bundle of nerves, all close together. The more you walk, the more the muscles tend to rub the angioseal against the nerve bundle in some people, and this can become very painful, causing some slight inflammation around them. My guess is that this is what is happening to you. I remember on a couple of occasions in hospital where the nurse has had to put pressure on my artery to stop it trickling. When pressure is applied with the angioseal you can sure feel it pressing on the nerves. Not a nice pain to deal with but it does pass.
Thank you Ed for responding, I really appreciate you. The information booklet they sent home with me stated the doctor chose to use a procedure called Suture Mediated Closure (SMC). It said with SMC, a device is used to deliver one or two stitches to the femoral artery.  Could these stitches rub against the nerve bundle like you stated with an Artery sealant?  The nurse did not have to apply any pressure at all.  I was told to remove the dressing after 24 hours and it looked really good, almost like only a scratch and the incision site was never swollen and did not trickle at all. A couple of days after the procedure there was a small amount of bruising. The inside of my thigh is still bothering me today, a little pain but not much and then a feeling like a cramp without the pain that goes along with a cramp. Maybe a muscle spasm? I'm just not sure. I took it really easy yesterday, but have to get out and about today. I'm wondering if maybe the doctor hit a nerve during the procedure? When the nurse got me up 2 hours after the procedure to walk my leg felt really funny, so i felt of my thigh with my hand and it was numb all the way to the knee. The feeling had returned by night time and I had the procedure at 7am that morning. Well I feel as if I'm rambling on too much, but any info additional info would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you