Heart Disease Expert Forum
intraventricular/intrauricular septum defects

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Dear Doctor:
  What would be your interpretation of the following diagnoses?  I realize there is little information provided.
  Diagnoses received for a 10 month old male:
  Congenital heart diseases
  Defect of interauricular septum
  Defect of intraventricular septum
  Addtional vertial chorda in the left ventricle
  Further,
  Sounds of vesicular breathing in the lungs. Heart tones are regular and clear.  Pharynx is clear, nasal breathing is normal.
  Would be very interested in your opinion of (1) prognosis and (2) treatment(s) if necessary

_
Dear Diane,  Usually we put this statement at the end of our answer so to speak but given your question I feel it is best I tell you now: Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only, actual diagnosis, prognostication, and treatment can only be made by your physician(s).
The congenital heart disease as you mention above is something that needs treatment/evaluation by a pediatric cardiologist as well as a pediatric heart surgeon.  There are some protocols for taking care of children with one defect such as an isolated intraventricular defect but in children with multiple defects the treatment regimines are more gray or blurry, in other word they need be tailored to each child individually.  The evaluation of a child with multiple congenital defects includes but is not limited to
an echocardiogram, CXR, thorough physical exam, and close follow-up.  Each of the defects you describe has different prognosis, defferent indications for surgical repair and when found together the prognosis is not necessarily worse,it just makes for a more complicated management procedure in the care of the child.  I  can not be any more specific than this except I can say that this 10 month old should be evaluated by specialists, and more than likely the follow-up treatment would best be done by a specialist who is constantly aware of the current knowledge as well as the advances  in the treatment of congenital heart disease.  
Even if the child is without symptoms and the abnormalities were found by accident(unlikely), I can not stress enough that this child requires specialty evaluation and follow-up care (pediatric or congenital cardiologists.)