Heart Disease Community
is diastolic dysfunction the same as diastolic HF?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I'm very concerned.

My echocardiogram which my doctor claimed showed "normal heart function" said in the conclusions that:

Normal Left Ventricular Size and systolic function.  
Diastolic dysfunction suggested by Doppler.
Mild elevation in pulmonary artery pressure suggested by Doppler.

This worries me b/c every time I google "Diastolic dysfunction" all that comes up is heart failure.

I know that DHF is HF with a normal EF (mine is 50) and normal systolic function and LV size.  I have all of those elements.

I don't have any of the signs of HF, although I have been experiencing light headedness and been short of breath on occasion.

Has anyone else had Diastolic dysfunction show up on their echo but who does not have HF?

Any info you have is appreciated.
I forgot to mention in this post that i know one of the causes of diastolic dysfunction is HBP, which I do have.  My BP runs anywhere from 118/80 to 145/95.  

As of today I am being treated with a beta blocker.  My hope is that this slows down or reverses the diastolic dysfunction.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
just bumping this as I haven't rec'd an answer yet.  
Please help me!
The difference between DD and DF if I remember right is pulmonary congestion fluid or blood back up in to the lungs and other organs.
Diastolic Dysfunction means there is some stiffness in the heart that that prevents it from filling with blood properly. Beta Blockers help the heart relax so it can fill with blood better and lower your BP.
I had diastolic dysfunction caused from high bp. My cardiologist says it is same as diastolic.heart failure. Once my diastolic bp was under control for.awhile I.was told it was resolved.
Diastolic dysfunction is different from diastolic heart failure. It only means that measurements made by Doppler during your echocardiogram exam showed evidence SUGGESTIVE of diastolic dysfunction (as stated in your report). These measurements need  to be interpreted in the context of how you feel. If you have symptoms of heart failure such as shortness of breath, inability to lie flat at night, swellings in your legs, then you might have diastolic heart failure. To answer your question, it is possible to have diastolic dysfunction without heart failure. However, the fact that your pulmonary artery pressure is mildly elevated does suggest that you might have diastolic heart failure. As you know, this condition is common in patients with high blood pressure and the treatment is a drug to lower your blood pressure, such as a beta-blocker.