Heart Disease Expert Forum
kidney blockage

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

kidney blockage
My husband had a cardiac catherization and it was determined he had a heart attack within the past 5 years and the right ventricle is completely blocked.  He also has 90% blockage in one kidney and 50% in the other.  The cardiologist said he would need a stent inserted in the kidney with the 90% blockage but he said it could wait a few months or so to do it.  Do you think this should be done asap?
Hi Keano1658,

I am not completely understanding the story, and it is always difficult to answer questions over the internet, but I'll give you some thoughts.

I'm not sure why your husband had a heart catheterization done.  I believe you mean that his right coronary artery is blocked.  I'm assuming they took a look at his renal arteries (arteries that feed the kidneys) while they were doing the heart catheterization.  Based on the current research we have, we usually put stents in if the patient is having symptoms.  The symptoms I am speaking of can be complicated, and I would need to know more about your husbands medical problems in order to understand why your physician recommended this.  Usually, these things are not urgent, and we like to have them performed electively (meaning not under an emergency situation).  

I would discuss with his cardiologist the reason why he/she thinks this is an important procedure for your husband to have.  No procedure is without its risk, and we do not usually just stent the renal arteries because they're blocked.  Again, he should be having special symptoms (or specific medical issues) that would prompt this type of procedure.

Hope this helps!
CCFHeartMD20