Heart Disease Expert Forum
laser

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

laser

I was informed by my cardiologist that the areas associated with giving angina symptoms can be destroyed using laser, freeing me from the symptoms. However, I am not sure about this because they cannot give me any real answers to a question I have.
If I no longer have the ability to feel angina, how would I know if I am actually damaging my heart or if my arteries become worse? Is it right to assume the first I will know about any problems is if I drop dead?
Have you heard of such a treatment? and have you seen any success with it?
Many thanks
1 Comment
TMLR, transmyocardia laser revascularization, is a well known technique, which is reserved for those who are refractory to medical therapy, surgery or percutaneous revascularization.  The laser actually causes formation of new blood vessels which increase blood supply to the heart and take away the low blood flow associated sensation of angina.  So, it doesn't mask angina, but acutally corrects it.  It sounds really good on paper, but in reality, the procedure isn't always that effective and the success rate isn't high enough to make this more clinically applicable.  There is another procedure called ECP, external counterpulsation, which actually has been shown to be more effective for treatment of angina.  Finally, there is a medication called ranolazine which has very effective in treating angina by changing the metabolism of the heart.