leaking mitral valve
I was just diagnosed with a "moderate" leaking mitral valve.  I tire easily but am an avid golfer.  My doctor said there are no restrictions at this time yet mentioned maybe a valve replacement might be necessary.   Am I not putting myself at risk with no restrictions and a leaking valve?  And I do swing a golf club a lot.   I had heart failure while snorkeling in the water in April and ended up in the hospital.   I don't understand this - do we just let it go and will it cause a heart attack?   The doctor is not very good at communicating.    Sharron500

This discussion is related to Changes in valve(s) function as heart disease progresses.
I have MVR and know a Mayo Clinic cardio surgeon that has stated the biggest problem he encounters is that the patient has waited too long.  The risk is that the heart works harder (with MVR) as there is less blood pumped into circulation with each stroke (blood back flows into atrium).  The heavier workload may/will enlarge the left ventricle, and that condition requires treatment before a successful operation can be accomplished.  

Your doctor wants you wait until there is reduction of the heart's pumping capacity, and enlarged heart isn't a wise decision.  You should contact a heart surgeon now (don't wait until there is an emergency) for consultation, and find a surgeon you can trust and feel comfortable with.  Additional exercise stress may add to the burden of the heart that may not be helpful.  Unfortunately, heart valves disorders seldom if ever get any better so it doesn't make much sense to wait.
I have read a ton about this and I wholeheartedly agree.  I do not understand why he would advise me to wait and yet say no restrictions.  I will get a second opinion ASAP.  Thank you.    Everything I read is what you confirmed.   Sharron500