Heart Disease Expert Forum
leaking valves

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

leaking valves
I have two valves that leak mildly, mitral and tricuspid.  The cardiologist told me that 60% of people have a leaky tricuspid valve.  What he didn't tell me is if I need to have this checked again at any time in the future.
I wonder if I should be concerned  about my leaky valves and how this might affect me as I get older, I am 41.
Thank you so much for your time and expertise!
Kathy
I would recommend yearly or bi-yearly echocardiograms to "keep an eye on things".  There is a small chance of the mitral regurg progressing and this should be monitored from time to time.
My Husband was also diagnosted with a leaky mitral valve Nov 98 .
The Dr said not to worry ,you can live with it , You probably had it as a cchild. Last week I urged him to get a follow -up echo and it showed 25% heart enlargement and recomend new valve. What could cause this and why so fast ? what if we didnot know this ? would he have had a heart attack. He has lost weigth this year and is exer. and really taking care of himself. What a shock. The Dr want to do surgery immed. Can you please give me an idea of what went wrong. Thank you Laverne
I believe you already posted this question elsewhere.  I'm not sure I can say much based on what you have told me.  It is possible he had a heart attack and didn't know it but there are other posssible explainations as well.