Heart Disease Expert Forum
leaky valves and mild calcification

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

leaky valves and mild calcification

My question is I have 3 leaky valves all mild  with slight calcification of mitral,I feel ok most of the time some palaptations is all, I am 54 year old female,my question is my docotor doesnet seemed concerned at all, and only sees me every 6 months,Is he correct in not being to concerned.?Also I am perimenaapausal so was wondering if my sudden increase in palpatations could be made worse by this,,,thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Ronnie,
Sorry you have been having some trouble.  Palpitations are not usually caused by mild valve problems unless they are also associated with abnormal heart rhythms (like atrial fibrillation/flutter which can be discovered with an EKG or Holter monitor).  If you are 54 years old with mild regurgitation of 3 valves, I would not attribute your palpitations to that.  Mild valvular regurgitation is a normal finding in much of the population and is not anything to worry about.  If you have narrowing of a valve (from severe calcification for example), then that can certainly be problematic (doesn't sound like that was an issue based on what you typed).  Being perimenopausal can certainly cause symptoms of palpitations as hormonal shifts can cause those funny sensations.  I would discuss with your physician whether an EKG and/or Holter monitor (continuous EKG for 24-48 hours) would be helpful to get to the bottom of the palpitations.
Thank  you for responding to me,,Every ekg i have is alwasy normal also have an ejection factor of 55  ,so I know that is considered good,the thing that bothers me is its scary to know you have all these leaky valves with some calcification,but yet the cardiologist I have dosent seem the least bit concerned.
Also I might add I have had several holtor monitors but all came back normal with exception of some bouts of tarcahrydia at moments that was it,