Heart Disease Expert Forum
leaky valves
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

leaky valves

Hi, What a great service you are providing.  I have two valves that leak, mitral 1+ and tricuspid 2+.  Cause of leaky valves probably due to rheumatic fever.  I have daily symptoms of palpitation/fluttering, especially when tired. Otherwise I feel pretty well.  I take 120 mg. of Inderal to control Hypertension and palpitation.  My father had open heart surgery to replace his aorta valve.  We were told that he shoud have had his surgery earlier since the heart was already quite damaged. I can't help but wonder how concern I should be about my leaky valves and how this might affect me as I conitnue to age, (just turned 50).
How serious is having two leaky valves? Is this condition progressive?  Why were the mitral and tricuspid valves affected?

Thanks a million for the information.
Helen