Heart Disease Expert Forum
leaky valves

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

leaky valves
Hi, What a great service you are providing.  I have two valves that leak, mitral 1+ and tricuspid 2+.  Cause of leaky valves probably due to rheumatic fever.  I have daily symptoms of palpitation/fluttering, especially when tired. Otherwise I feel pretty well.  I take 120 mg. of Inderal to control Hypertension and palpitation.  My father had open heart surgery to replace his aorta valve.  We were told that he shoud have had his surgery earlier since the heart was already quite damaged. I can't help but wonder how concern I should be about my leaky valves and how this might affect me as I conitnue to age, (just turned 50).
How serious is having two leaky valves? Is this condition progressive?  Why were the mitral and tricuspid valves affected?

Thanks a million for the information.
Helen
DEar Helen,  It is important to fololow your valve and at the first sing of a decrease in the pumping function of your heart to have this repaired.  You may just require a MV repair.  The tricuspid regurgitation will often correct once the mitral leak is fixed.

It is most likely that your mitral valve was affected by rheumatic disease and that your tricuspid leaks because the mitral leaks (it is a closed circuit with the tricuspid relieving pressure from the mitral valve.)
A related discussion, "minimal" valve reguritation in 4 valves was started.