Heart Disease Expert Forum
left atrial enlargement

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

left atrial enlargement

Wow!  I can't believe I got through...my second post ever!

I have idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy.  My left atrium by echo has gone from 40mm to 48mm.  My cardiologist says he doesn't believe the 40, as he thinks it had to be larger.  Is this change significant?  Does this place me at greater risk for even more arrhythmias, like a fib?

What does a dilated aortic root mean?  Is aortic valve sclerosis of any significance?

Are there any new advances in placing ICD's in patients with left persistent superior vena cava?  I also have abnormal vessels on the right preventing placement there.  Unless I have syncope they don't not want to perform the open chest approach.  My EF has risen from 15 to 35%.

Thank you so much for taking my questions.  I enjoy your sense of humor in your answers.
Atrial fibrillation risk increases with atrial size. The change in size is somewhat irrelevant, but underscores the need to striclty control your blood pressure and make sure you're on a good heart failure regimen.

Dilated aortic root means it is enlarged. The significance depends on how dilated.

Aortic sclerosis means the valve showns signs of age. In the setting of a dilated root, the main concern would be the degree of stenosis at the valve and whether it's contributing to the root enlargement.

PLSVC is present in approximately 0.5% of the population, and a transvenous pacemaker or ICD implantation is sometimes difficult or even impossible in those cases. However, there are multiple case reports of implantation despite the presence. It depends on anatomy. I would make sure you are seen at a high volume tertiary referral center if an icd is indicated for you.

good luck

Good for you to get your question posted. I understand idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy can be a very serious heart problem. I understand a rare few has also had a miraculous recovery from this.

At least looks like your EF has improved significantly. I image a sense a humor answer would be reserved for a much less serious condition. The one plus looks you have a pretty good sense of humor yourself.

Good luck

flip(Lyn)
Good for you. and you asked three questions. That must be nice.  Perhaps you will be kind to others who ask more than one question in the future.  Yes, you have some genuine problems.  So do many of the rest of us.  Just be kind to others in the future.

Thanks , what a great reminder. I couldn't have put together any better!!

Best wishes,

flip(Lyn)
Ummmm, Kristin, my point was NEVER about the number of questions one asked in one post!  I don't care, and since we get through so seldom, it makes perfect sense to ask multiple questions.  My previous point was about persons who POST more than once a day, as that one lady did, or the people who POST very very frequently.  As you know, there were people like that.  You aren't really trying to get the discussion started again?  Please, you be nice!