Heart Disease Expert Forum
lifelong tachycardia

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

lifelong tachycardia

I have had rapid pulse for as long as I can remember which is back when I was in my teens.  I am now 53 and have through the years taken many medications to slow it down without a lot of success.  My resting heart beat is about 100-110 and up moving around its in the area of 120-140.  This is a constant thing and not just on occasions, even asleep my rate is in the 90's. Stress test and echos show no problems as does ekgs expect that it is fast. I wore a 24 hour moniter one time and in the course of a day my rate went from 90 to 190.  I dont really feel to bad except for being easily tired out.  I take Verelan 240 mgs twice a day for the rate and high blood pressure, also take a half of a Avapro 150mg at bedtime.  My question is this, is this something that needs to be checked into more or should I just accept the fact thats its probably something i was born with, an electrical disturbance, and let it go?  Does a rapid heartbeat wear the heart out faster?  I have had answers both ways and really am not sure which to believe.
Another thing that I have that i have also had since my teens is that on occasions , once or twice a year, i get severe middle of the chest pains that last sometimes for hours, resting makes these worse whereas moving around relieves it some, I have had ekgs during this and they have all been normal, I have been told they are esphogus spasms, but, I often wonder if there is any connection with them and the rapid heart beat.  I go to my internal medicine doctor every 4 months and nothing significant is ever wrong with me, I have been told I am healthy.  I know this is long and rambling but really would like some feedback please. Oh, and i have been on beta blockers but they didnt help much either and i have asthma and can not take them at this time.

If you have had this condition for thirty years and testing has not revealed any correctable abnormality and nothing bad has happened so far, it may be best to leave it alone. If you did want a (somewhat)definitve answer, you could see a cardiac electrophysiologist to determine whether you have an innapropriate sinus tachycarida; these can sometimes be treated with a catheter ablation procedure, in order to prevent heart failure from developing. Presumably, your doctors have already done obvious things like test thyroid function.
Yes, all the usual tests like thyroid have been done and what test would show up an innapropriate sinus tachycarida besides the ekg, echo, stress?  I have had two children and major surgury in 1992 and never a heart problem, I have about decided the old adage if it aint broke dont try to fix it might apply to me, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Linda

I favor your common sense approach. If there was a serious problem it is unlikely that you could have gone through two pregnancies and major surgery without a complication.
I think you are like a lot of people out there.  The first question you ask yourself is why me?  I have a similar problem at the age of 19.  I get rapid-heartbeats from playing basketball or running a mile.

I am going to have this problem fixed with the EP Study, which is 98% safe and can cure you.

Ask your doc to refer you to a Electrophysiologist.  I had all these tests and they showed nothing.

Finally, it is up to you to decide.

Good luck and God bless us all.
There are a lot of causes for abnormal heart rhythms. SOme are very well-suited for catheter ablation, but in general, PVCs are not.
In answer to the comment, the rapid heart beat i have is not anything related to running or exercise, i have it all the time, just gets faster with movements such as walking.  I do not have abnormal heart rhythms, my rhythm is always normal, just fast, so I really dont think that our problem is the same but thanks for your comment.
For an excellent general discussion of problem tachycardia, see the 12/20/99 reply to Thomas Bodden.  It's very thorough and seems to give an excellent general discussion of the big issues involved.
Hey Linda,
I have the same problem with a fast resting pulse rate.  Mine is usually around 80-100.  My doctor told me he was concerned that it could cause heart failier early in life.  He scared the **** out of me!  I've had a fast pulse since birth I think and I'm 26 now.  I feel fine so to heck with it. :o