lisaloo820
i have a follow-up quesetion. i consulted with a cardiologist before my cataract surgery, which by the way, i went ahead with yesterday with great success. anyway, he told me he thought based on putting all the information together, that my results might possibly be a false-positive on my stress test (which showed a problem with a single vessel) but the only way to really be sure is to perform a nuclear stress. the reason he believes there's a good chance my results were false positive is because:

no family history
low cholesterol
excellent exercise capacity on stress
active
thin
highly anxious during time of test causing b/p to be high at the time
everything else looked norml
NO CHEST PAIN

i have 2 questions:
do you recommend i proceed with the nuclear stress and if they find anything what will they want to do most likely?
and can anxiety cause skewed results: one doctor told me yes; another told me no.

in the meantime, i have successfully completed half of my cataract surgery and felt and did great! thank you for all your help and guidance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 216-444-2200 or inquire online by using The Cleveland Clinic Web site. The site contains a directory of the staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your medical problem.

The Cleveland Clinic also offers specialist consultation and second opinion using the Internet through e-Cleveland Clinic. e-Cleveland Clinic is a new Web-based extension of  The Cleveland Clinics 80-year role as one of Americas most respected referral institutions. It provides online second opinions for patients with life-threatening and life-altering diagnoses. To request an online consultation, go to the e-Cleveland Clinic Web site.

MedHelp.org subscribes to the HONCode principles of the Health On the Net Foundation. Verify here.   Site Map  About Us  Contact Us  Advertising  Terms of Use  Privacy  Whats New  Report AbuseInformation contained within this site is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your physician or other health provider for any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. By using this site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions.
Copyright © 1993-2007 MedHelp. All rights reserved.

If your doctor has recommended the nuclear test (it's simple and virtually painless, discounting a simple needle stick) definitely do it.  I have one and they're no big deal at all.  What they would do if they found something would depend entirely on what they found, where they found it and to what degree you were affected by whatever it was.

It can affect some things, like arrhythmias, blood pressures, things like that.  As for anxiety itself giving a false positive, I would doubt it but I cannot say for certain as I'm not a health professional.