Heart Disease Expert Forum
longevity with stent ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

longevity with stent ?

given the side effects of stents I would like to understand what my odds are for a normal life after stent placement.  

I am 58 and had a mild MI on Sept 13.   It was brought on by an emotional episode.  

next day had a 23 mm DE stent placed in my RCA whichh was found to be 90% blocked.  a second 12 mm was place in series due to  proximal tear on placement of first    2 other arteries showed 20 & 30% blockage.  Up to that point I was walking briskly at least 1 mile a day and doing a 10 minute workout with 5 pound dumbells in the a.m.  no angina.  no shortness of breath.    my lipids were generally about 200 total, 120 LDL, 36 HDL,  and Triglycerides about 220.

Next day (14th) I started a plant based diet with no animal products at all.  Am also on 5 mg lipitor.   In two weeks a blood test showed total Chol at 95, LDL of 37, VLDL 20, HDL of 38, and Trig of 102.  going to retest in a another week or two as I find these numbers  hard to believe.

Weight is dropping some as well and I am back to walking and light excercise.    

I understand that if I keep my LDL below 60 some trials suggest a slight regression in plaque and a lowering of occurance of significant events.

if I do everything right, do I have a reasonable chance of living out a normal life span or is the stent and/or other cardiac issues are likely to catch up to me over the next 5 to 10 years...  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hey,

It is hard to give you an accurate answer over the internet without meeting you but I can give you some general pointers which may be helpful.
One thing I can tell you that you are doing all the right things. Healthy eating, daily exercise, keeping normal weight and complying with your medications are all the things which will go a long way in keeping your heart healthy.
There are two main objectives at this point: One is to keep the stent open and the second is to ensure that other arteries do not develop blockages so that there is no future heart attacks.
The big picture is: if you do everything right, there is a very high chance that you will have a completely normal life span.

Hope that helps
Dear Heart MD, I sm sorry to disagree withat you but my husband had a heart attack and 7 stents some coated and some not.  His body rejected the stents in additon to having 13 Heart Caths since 2001.  He had a dbl bypass 4 years ago and it failed in one year,  Now he is 66 with cardio myopatrhy and 40-60% of his heart working and going back into the hospital with grim news.  He has CVD, COD, CAD, HBP, and on and on.  He is going back into the hospital with a great surgeon.  They are limited to what they can do.  Any ideas,
suggest checking into the work of Dr Esselstyn of the Cleveland Clinic.   I am following his dietary recommendations (plant based diet only) and my lipid profile has improved dramatically.  total cholesterol is less than 120 and triglycerides are under 110.  He shows evidence that patients, even patients with very bad heart diseases, who follow his recommendations, will stop the progression of their disease and often show some regression.   He can be found on youtube as well.  

good luck to your husband
Had 1st MI when I was 35 I am 53 now.Got out of hospital past tuesday with 7th MI.I have had a total of 42 stents placed 6 balloons without stents and double bypass.Also have worked fulltime through all this.You have to be aware of your own body.Try not to worry do what you should and enjoy life.Best wishes randy
I agree with Randy 100%, it's all about listening to your body. If you feel any shortness of breath (more than usual), any new discomforts etc, get to a professional rather than wait.