Heart Disease Community
low blood flow to heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

low blood flow to heart

Went to ER yesterday at the request of my reg. Doc.  I have been having trouble catcing my breath for a few days and was getting concerned---(anxiety or heart?)  Also, did regular treadmill about 2 weeks ago. Evidentally they found a lack of blood flow to my heart.  At ER they did all blood tests, EKG,x-ray.  Had 64 CT scan in '05. ER Doc said Scan was not too accurate and thought nuclear treadmill was in order, maybe angiogram.  Put in hosptial for observation and sent home in the morning with no treadmill or angio.  I am now really scared and angry.  I have MVP and always have all sorts of  weird and scary "symptoms" and keep going to the ER and they find nothing.  This time they found something abnormal in the treadmill and send me home.  Has anyone had this reading with the treadmill test?  What does it mean??  I can try to ignore the breathing thing---but not the other.

Thanks for being there---it's always calming to read about your experiences---I don't feel so alone or crazy.  
It was quite lucky that the ER docs didn't tell you off!  My GP sent me with a letter and they gave me reassurance and warn me.  "Your heart is completely normal, all is anxiety.  Don't come here and complaint your heart anymore!  Not even go to complaint to your GP!"

Now the current Echo showed my 2 valves had damaged!  Where I should go and claim the reassurance?
My mother had a result like that on a regular stress test, so they sent her for the nuclear one and an angiogram and both came back completely normal.

I would make sure you get those tests though.  This is your health and you have to be an advocate for your own healthcare.

I'm sorry you're facing so much frustration. I'm sure it's unnerving and I know I would feel worried and angry too.  Get on the phone, call your cardiologist (or GP) and tell them in light of this you want the nuclear testing.  It's not like your asking for a catherization.  You're symptomatic and you've had an abnormality on a stress test.  That should be enough.  If it isn't, seek a second opinion from another doctor.

Sending good thoughts your way, hang in there.
I completely understand what you're going through.  My GP did not do much for me either: 3 or 4 EKGs and blood works.  I asked for stress test, and she said I'm completely healthy.  I did not need any more tests.  I complained about about short of breath and rapid heart beat, palpitations, etc.  She gave me atenolol which made me worse.  I found mysefl waking up in the midle of the night gasping for air, and I was thristy all the time (serious side effect).  I told her about those, and she said "get off of it and see how you feel".  I never heard from her again.  I also have elevated Hgb and Hematocrit levels for 1 and 1/2 years now.  I asked her to look into that too, but nothing happened.  I'm quite frustrated right now and thinking about switching doctor.  They charge so much for healthcare yet you get so little service.  

Sorry to go on and on about this, I just could not understand why things have to be that way.
Thank you so much to those who shared with me.  I feel so blessed to have a place to share all of these feelings and experiences with other people---(who don't think I'm nuts).  I was somewhat relieved to hear that there are others who have had these symptoms and they turn out to be nothing---but we know that there is always A CHANCE---so....  I'm guessing that we are a big pain for these Docs and we frustrate them because they can't just FIX us----but I hate to hear how insensitive these GPs and other Docs are!!!!!!!  My GP is pretty patient with me but I think the Cardio Doc just cringes when she hears my name.

I am so mad at the Cardio Doc.  I have left 2 messages for her to get back to me and tell me why she will not authorize at least the nuclear stress.  I belong to a big HMO and am thinking of going tomorrow to Member Services and putting in a complaint . I'm not sure what good it will do, but I might feel better---it is such a helpless feeling to be so easily dismissed!

I have tons of other symptom and could probably post on 11 different topic and subjects.  Thanks again
if your doctor  will not respond  you can call your  health insurance  and they can order it for you  hope this helps
i too was having shortness of breath.... some irregular heart beats... very strong heart beats that hurt also. was told at first i just had strong heart beat. recently went to heart doctor... had a drug induced stress-test.... also had pictures taken of my heart... showed i had slow blood flow on under-lying side of heart. doctor then did heart catherization..... said there is no blockage & heart looked fine. my problem is..... i still left with no explanation of what's causing the slow blood flow and what happens from that point !   i feel like money was made but no solution. hang in there... your'e not by yourself.
I had something similar in 2010. I was getting angina and went for an Angiogram. They couldn't see anything wrong and so decided to do FFR (fractional flow rate) test. This is a tiny sensor on the end of the catheter, and it relays the pressure and flow rate back to the cardiologist. They inserted the sensor to the top of my left circumflex and took a base reading, then slowly lowered it down the artery. Halfway down, even though the artery was wide and clear, the flow virtually halved. They concluded that there must be irregularities along the artery wall, too small too see but adequate to cause considerable turbulence. They put a stent in the region but below the stent the flow was still slowing by half. So they added a second stent. This fixed the problem, I was now getting full flow to the bottom of the artery. This technology is available to all cath labs, and I'm always surprised that it isn't used much.