Heart Disease Community
low enjection fraction % CHF &Block

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

low enjection fraction % CHF &Block

The doctors said my enjection fraction is 5 to 10 % and I have CHF with Sob and all arties is blocked can you tell me what all this means? I am I a walking time bomb waiting to go?
Sorry to say you got it close, you better have a plan. :(  quit smoking if you didn’t yet , stop eating salty keep the sodium  under 1600 mg/day ... etc....get yourself on the transplant list... Best luck!!
How long can a person live with Ejection Fraction this low? I want to give my wife of twenty years as much as I can do for her while I am still here for a little while. I did cut down on salt, I have never smoked nor drink or do drugs. My mother and father has heart and diabetes diseases. So can you let me know How long about you can go on with this problem?

You CAN get Better !! Best luck to you ! You didn’t say how old you are? What your doctor said? Are you on medication? Hope you are. To cut out on salt not good enough, with this low IF you should not use salt at all.
You must calculate the sodium in all meal you eat. In one meal can not have more sodium then 400 mg...Did you realized sodium is there in almost everything naturally.

" Salt is not the only source of sodium you should be concerned about. The NIH, American Medical Association (AMA) and American Dietetic Association (ADA) now strongly urge daily consumption of dietary sodum at between 1,300 and 1,800 milligrams. That means all forms of sodium. Unfortunately, there are a great number of hidden sources of sodium in packaged, canned, frozen and prepared foods as well as in dairy products. And now we have to look out for fresh poultry that is brined, fresh pork that is brined and turkeys with additives, and salt brining as part of their everyday processing. (NOTE: Your vitamins and other supplements may also have sodium. A Centrum Senior or comparable vitamin contains nearly 61 mg of sodium. In our low sodium lifestyle, that can be more than 10% of a desirable daily intake.) Various supplements like chondroitin/glucosomine can have as much as 2,000 mg of sodium. Following are the most prevalent sources of sodium. "

http://www.megaheart.com/sodium_all_about.html

http://diet.virginia.com/caloriecounter/caloriecounter.htm

http://www.annecollins.com/sodium-diet.htm

Thank you for the web sites I am 55 year old man I have had Diabetes since 1985 and High blood pressure. I have been on Dialysis for four years and CHF for seven years. I have had this shortness of breath for two weeks. I had an Angiogram and the doctors said "my Injection Fraction is 5 to 10% and I have complete Heart Block and my heart is not pumping and I have a lot of fluid in my body" I was given Lasix shots for a week and I am still short of breath and the fluid seems to keep coming faster than ever before.
I know can foods have a lot of salt I do not use can foods and I know salt is in most processing so I try to get foods with no salt in them on the label or low salt on the label. My doctors just look at me funny but not telling me any thing and I want to know. I feel me and my wife should know what is really going on with me.
Sorry you a fighting this battle.  Have you consulted with a CHF specialist?  Some cardiologist specialize in treating CHF patients.  Your situation sounds complex and a specialist might be able to offer other treatments, etc.  
That’s a good advice from Momto3 !

I also would say you should try to look in to nutritional therapy..coQ10...etc...Some doctor would recommend coQ10....some would say wont harm wont help...my doctor had success stories with people who came out from very bad stage with aggressive treatment on coQ10

If I was you I sure would start to take co Q 10  today, if you don't so far !!
I took it for about a year or more...but if my EF will go down first thing I will do, take it again!

You can read more on that excellent page

http://utopia.knoware.nl/~wwitsel/main/artikelen/treatment.cardiomyopathy.heart.failure.2.html

Thank you I will try any thing my Doctor the Cardiologist put his hand on my shoulder and said " I am sorry we will do all we can do, and all we can do is treat you with medication. This was after the Anagram and the Cardiologist came into my room. He said if they would try any surgery or any thing I will never come off life support or die on the table, so he sent me home with shortness of breath and medication.