Heart Disease Expert Forum
low heart beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

low heart beat

My brother has a resting heart rate of 39 and I have one of 42.  Is this normal?  If not, what other symptoms should we be concerned with.  Thank you.
As long as there are no symptoms associated with the low heart rate there is no need to treat it.
I also have a resting heart rate of upper thirties to low forties. According to my cardiologist, although the rate is a bit slow, it's not abnormal. Heart rate varies from person to person. I'm 32 and have a-fib. I take medicine for this problem and one of the side effects of the meds is slowing of the heart rate.
If there's no history of heart desease in your family backround and you're physically fit (not over-weight), I don't think it's a problem. However, if you feel dizzy when you become active and also feel lightheaded for no reason at all, I would seek medical attention.
Good luck.

this is in concern to my mother, a 53 year old lady.  recently she was advised by her physician that she had a low heart rate.  what would cause this, and how can this be treated.  also, i am not sure if this may be a side effect or a contribuant to her health, but she has water on her lungs, high blood pressure.
It may be more serious in older people and may indicate that a pacemaker will eventually be needed.  However, this determination can only be made by her doctor.