Heart Disease Expert Forum
malignant fibrouw histiocytoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

malignant fibrouw histiocytoma

My 40 yr old daughter just had 2 malignant tumors removed from inside her heart. One from the atrium, and one from the mitral valve(the mitral valve was replaced with a titanium/carbide one).I would like to know from past case histories, the most successful follow up treatment, chance of reoccurance, prognosis for longevity and etc. Any information that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
  Thank You,
  Darrell C. Chipman

Dear Darrell,
In order to discuss any prognosis in a patient with a tumor (whether removed or not) is dependent upon
the tumor histology. With that introduction I will give you a few generalizations regarding tumors.  Malignant usually
has a worse prognosis than a tumor that is benign, depending at least in part ot the extent of spread of the malignant tumor at diagnosis.
Now the title subject of your question is malignant histiocytoma (fibrous) I believe and honestly this is usually a tumor of adults in their long bones and carries a poor prognosis even with chemotherapy.
I think at this time I would like to further research all tumors of the heart and if you could reply with the histology of the tumor removed and whether or not the tumor was believed to originate in the heart that would
greatly help me to answer you question.  If you haven't already, look in to any information that the National Institutes of Health can provide for you as this is where the majority of cancer treatment trials are performed.
Let me reiterate, if the tumor removed from your daughters heart was malignant and or metastatic from some other source the prognosis is not good and you should attend one of your daughters visits to her physician in order to
hear from that physician what treatments are available and what each offers your daughter (quality vs. quanity of life.)
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for informational purposes only.  Actual diagnosis and treatment can only be made by your physician(s).