Heart Disease Community
metoprolol

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

metoprolol

Is anyone taking metoprolol? It's driving me nuts!
I do have anxiety disorder. And of course knowing they gave me this to lower my heart rate makes me nervous.
And with my anxiety disorder I am taking my blood pressure every hour. I know that doesn't help.
But dealing with the metoprolol, it has dropped me to 88/55 at times, today 112/73, then 93/55 then 142/70.
I get hot flashes, shakes, tingling arms, a general feeling of panic when I see my reading is low or I feel the shakes....
Could it be the drug? Does anyone else take this and have these symptoms?
Sounds like typical blood pressure readings to me.  Mine gets quite low after taking the beta blocker like your 88/55, gets higher when I'm all riled up.  I would do yourself a big favor and either lock the BP machine in your garden shed so it is inconvenient to constantly take your BP readings, vow to take your BP twice a day at about the same time each day.  You will simply drive yourself nuts.  That being said, if you need to get up at night, simply sit on the edge of the bed a few seconds and get up slowly.  The hot flashes, shakes, tingling arms, and a general feeling of panic are textbook panic attack symptoms.  
Sorry Flycaster305 but I couldn't disagree more. I'm on Toprol and have had simililar issues including SOB and near syncope and the panic comes after the symptoms not before. The  "panic attack"  is the most over-relied on explanation in medicine. Far too often we just accept this **** from out health professionals unquestioning and "live with" the side effects. My average blood pressure was 140/90 and on 25mg/day it often in 88/58 and that is TOO low. See if an emergency room Doctor examining  a car accident victim who has lost a lot of blood thinks that's a great BP.

My neighbor who is also a MD told me to cut my dosage in half and I did yesterday. We'll see. This forum is peppered with people who have had issues with metoprolol so it's not rare.

MM take charge and don't blindly accept all your doctors advice without question. Tell him your issues challenge him and demand satisfactory answers. If you don't get them from him consider finding someone who will.
If your having problems with a beta blocker medication -  Did you ask your Doctor to switch medications, or get off it ?  per the problems you have now !!   are you in a hmo plan or ppo plan ?  I was on a beta blocker over 6years , had adverse side effects as you are having now.
all the same issues ! drove me up a wall 24/7 !! non stop !  I gave up on taking my b.p every few hours - and did it only when I thought the b.p was high , most times it wasnt.  with beta blockers, if you have been on them a long time (more than a year) it will take weaning to get off them
its slow , but it will work -  I think you should Demand ! that your Doctor
Switch medications asap ! and get you off the beta blocker ,due to the adverse side effects your having.  

here are some things that might help you , to calm you down and stop the pannic attacks or slow them .. take Natural Calm powder drink
its at most healthfood stores and vit shops.  the stuff really works good.
its 100% natural and you can drink it like tea - hot drink  daily over and over !   I found it to help and stop most pannic attacks ..
it also helps the jitters calm down or stop .
please, I dont sell the stuff.. I use it daily..  just want to help if I can..

I did a study on toprol xl  and beta blockers.. being on it for over 6.5 years ! living in hell .. its a nasty drug !  and it should be taken off the market totaly forever !!    

good luck and try to get your doctor to switch medications off the beta blockers.. first and formost !  

BoogerNose
I have been taking metoprolol succinate for quite a time. at first I was taking 25 mg then after 5 months it was increased to 50 mg and a few weeks ago i was taking 75 mg. I don't why but this medicine is causing my airways to narrow because I don't have any pulmonary disease my lungs are totally find expect that a few months ago my pulmonologist thought I had COPD for my PFT but thankfully I don't...which make me think that it maybe cause of the Metropolol...I take this medicine because of my heart rate that gets pretty high on fiscal activities well more than it should....
this drug is from HELL - I was FORCED on it by Dr. V. Panchamuki from Prairie Cardio in Carbondale, Il and it messed me up so bad it RUINED 4 1/2 years of my life and almost killed me by saturating me, which I tried to tell him it was doing - he wouldn't listen - drove myself to the hospital with a heart rate of 27 and I had been weaning myself off of it with the help of a friend from England a Chemist (Pharmacist 2 us) had I not been 4 days away from being off of it I would have died - huge lawsuit was won against this drug
Hi I am on 12.5 mg twice a day of metoprolol tartrate and I have been on them for about
2weeks now I want to know will it be hard for me to get off of them cause this med really
Creap Me out can somebody give me a good answer please!!!!!!!!!