Heart Disease Expert Forum
metropol

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

metropol
I just recently have been  given a script for metropol( hope spelled right) the beta blocker.It is in .25mg..but Iam a wimp when it comes to putting medicine into my body.I dont know Im like afraid I will lose control of myself or somethin..weird i know.Anyway, I was wondering if anyone thinks I could start this out by taking  a half of a pill.Im suppose to take it as needed when i have a svt attack.I know I should prolly just call my doctor and ask him, but just curious if anyone here has done that.OH, and being that my bp is good and normal, wont this drug lower it...hopefully not too low though....thanks:)
While Metoprolol is techincally a "blood pressure medicine", it has very minimal effect on blood pressure and mostly affects heart rate. Most people tolerate the medication very well. If you are nervous about its effects, it is not unreasonable to start by taking 1/2 a pill, as long as you know that aborting or controlling your SVT may take more than that. You could start with 1/2 a pill, and if that doesn't work, then move up to a whole 25mg pill.
Thank you so much!
I take metoprolol at bedtime.  My doctor suggested this because I found this medicine made me dopey.  For instance, I couldn't recognize people I'd known for years.  Taking it at bedtime helps with the side effects, in fact for me it acts like a sleeping pill.  I sleep six solid hours when I take it.
A related discussion, meteropol was started.