Heart Disease Community
mild aortic regurgitation

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

mild aortic regurgitation

My question has to do with aortic regurgitation. I had, an abnormal, echocardiogram where it was stated that there is mild aortic representation present. In searching the web I found that, mild aortic regurgitation falls within the limits of
>5% - <25% -of blood leaking into the LV -of the outbound blood stream.

Does Aortic regurgitation always progress down the path of severe, towards CHF?
What is the % of people from a large sample that have absolutely no aortic regurgitation and what is the % that has mild regurgitation?

Some of the articles in the internet state that mild Aortic regurgitation progresses to CHF within 10 years. Is that correct?
You may want to get the disc of your echo and have it reviewed by another cardiologist to ensure that the regurge is actually extant. If it is from what i understand some people will eventually need valve replacement some won't.
Avatar n tn
I've a friend in California with Severe aortic regurgitation..over 50% It's taken it several years to progress this far. To be exact, eight or so. She hasn't been scheduled for surgery yet.
Another friend has moderate, and it's stayed the same for a long time.  

Did they say your heart was enlarged a bit and that your ejection fraction was below 55%, or were those parts normal?
The friend with the 50% has enlarged a bit. The other one is normal.

Try to not to worry, ok?
Avatar n tn
EF was 61-66%. No enlargement of the heart. Just regurgitation. The problem is that I don't know what percentage, it is stated as mild on the report. I assume that 5%(low mild range) is better than 25%(high normal range?).
Avatar n tn
yuap--and you know, if you are really concerned, get another doc to read it, and give you an exam. I think that 55% or less is the place where they get concerned, and with mild it shouldn't drop down much. It's a pity they didn't estimate the percentage for you.(it CAN be done) But stop worrying, it's not good for you.   Did you ask about this over on the forum where the doctors answers yet?
Avatar n tn
The forum is always closed. When is the best time to post a question?
Avatar n tn
Avatar n tn

I don't know, I would like to post my info there too. I think I will stay up late tonight and see if I can do it.