mild global hypokinesis
i was told by my heart doctor that i have mild global hypokinesis of the left ventricle. the transmitral e velocity is 6.4 cm/s. the transmitral e/e ratio is 8.0 the left atrial volume index is 18ml/m2. ef45%range. she told me that nothing needs to be done but my family doctor says i need to have further testing done can you please tell me what i need to do. what exactly is  global hypokinesis and should anything be done about it?
Global hypokinesis simply means that the muscle in your left ventricle does not contract as strongly as it should, it's a little lazy, which is why your EF% is a little low at 45% (s/b 50-75%) If it's mild, the Cardiologist is most likely correct and nothing needs to be done at this time. I would make sure to do another echo in a year to make sure it is not progressing. Also, if you begin to have symptoms like shortness of breath on exertion I would see the cardiologist sooner.

Your doctor should work with you to determine the underlying cause. there are many conditions that include global hypokinesis as a symptom. It could be caused by high blood pressure as well so it would be wise to find out what is causing it.

I hope this helps,

Jon